LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Shortstop has been an unlucky position this season for the No. 6 Michigan softball team.

First, junior Stephanie Kirkpatrick underwent season-ending knee surgery last week on a recurring injury. Then, at the Louisville Softball Classic this weekend, a screaming grounder took a nasty bounce, clipping sophomore Amy Knapp. Asked about the status of Knapp’s injury, Michigan coach Carol Hutchins provided no comment.

Enter junior Amanda Chidester, the Wolverines’ jack-of-all-trades. During Michigan’s weekend in the Bluegrass State, she played three different positions, filling in wherever necessary for any teammates ailing or simply needing a rest.

With a batting average above .400, Hutchins knows it’s imperative that ‘Chiddy’ remains in the lineup, so she plugs Chidester into different spots on the field — catcher, third base or shortstop — and is generally pleased with the result.

Though Chidester’s view of the field may change during a game, her mentality never wavers.

“There’s (multiple) positions that I’ve played throughout my entire life, so I just need to take it for what it is and do my job,” Chidester said.

And a loss against a mediocre Western Kentucky squad over the weekend did nothing to change that mentality. When Michigan (25-1) travels to California next weekend for the Judi Garman Classic, the competition will be the fiercest the Wolverines have seen this season. But for Hutchins, it’s not so much about the name on the opponent’s jersey as it is the mentality of those in Maize and Blue.

“We just need to compete,” Hutchins said. “It’s not about the other teams.”

Chidester knows there is no one to blame after a loss — albeit a rare one — but the team itself.

“We need to go out there with a purpose every single time,” Chidester said. “It’s an eye-opener for us.”

Michigan may not be playing with the same fire that it started the season with, but Hutchins won’t tolerate any lackadaisical efforts from her unit. With No. 4 Arizona and No. 8 Arizona State awaiting this weekend, the Wolverines will have to return to that early-season form if they want to have success.

“As long as we’re playing together and we’re doing our part, our team is great,” Chidester said. “When we tense up … we get down. But if we stay positive and have a lot of energy, we’ll be okay.”