Emily Alberts/Daily. Buy this photo.

Nearly a month after three of his Michigan teammates made the decision to go pro, sophomore defenseman Seamus Casey finally made up his mind.

On Monday, Casey signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Devils, forgoing his remaining eligibility with the Wolverines. Casey was selected 46th overall in the 2022 NHL Draft, and he’s now joining former teammate and fellow defenseman Luke Hughes in New Jersey.

In his two seasons on Michigan’s blue line, Casey established himself as a lethal offensive defenseman. This past year, he led all Michigan defensemen in scoring and led the team with 38 assists. That campaign earned him First-Team All-Big Ten and First-Team All-American honors.

As a freshman, Casey put up 29 points in 37 games, with eight goals and 21 assists to his name. He also tallied 24 blocked shots, earning a spot on both the Big Ten All-Freshman Team and All-Tournament Team.

Both years with the Wolverines, Casey was an integral component of their success. He was incredibly dangerous with the puck on his stick, having a knack for beating defensemen and setting up his teammates with prime scoring opportunities. 

Casey leaves big shoes to fill within Michigan’s defense, but the Wolverines have already started to rebuild. A few weeks ago, they picked up former Arizona State defenseman Tim Lovell, who seems to bring a similar skill set. Michigan will hope that Lovell and the rest of its defensive core can replace Casey’s production and presence on the blue line.

And for Casey, he’ll look to bring the same spark that he provided as a Wolverine to the next level as a Devil.