For most, throwing a no-hitter in a collegiate softball game would be a career-defining moment. Two is the mark of a rare talent. Three is largely unheard of.

But when Wolverine senior Jordan Taylor took to the mound last Friday against Long Island and surrendered no hits, it seemed like just a typical day of work.

After all, Taylor’s performance in Michigan’s 6-0 victory over the Blackbirds marked her seventh career no-hitter, extending a Wolverine record she broke last year.

During Taylor’s dominant performance — she even took a perfect game into the last frame before issuing a leadoff walk — she kept her composure, displaying the mental toughness that has led to her fast start this season. Her 4-0 record and 27-consecutive scoreless innings have been a key contributor to Michigan’s early-season success.

“We’re very, very pleased with (Taylor),” Michigan coach Carol Hutchins said. “She’s shown a lot of great leadership.”

Hutchins, currently in her 26th season at the helm of the Michigan softball team, was named this week to the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame. She was inducted with a class of other former Wolverine football coach Lloyd Carr and former NFL great Jerome Bettis. Her tenure as a Michigan coach is currently surpassed only by hockey coach Red Berenson.

This weekend, No. 9 Michigan (10-0) will return to the Sunshine State for another preseason tournament. Five more games — and a chance to add on to their undefeated record — awaits the Wolverines in Orlando at the University of Central Florida Invitational.

To do so, Taylor, as well as the other half of the team’s starting pitching tandem, sophomore Stephanie Speierman, will need to continue to send frustrated batters back to the dugout.

The team has received a great deal of run support in the season’s early stages, including scoring outputs of 19, 16, 11 and 10. And the team’s pitching staff could not be more pleased.

“It definitely takes off a lot of pressure,” Taylor said.

With no nerves — or hits allowed — the wins may keep coming in droves for the Wolverines. And with its ace Taylor safely in tow, a trip to the College World Series in Oklahoma City is not out of the question.

“We want to get that third consecutive Big Ten Championship and to get back to Oklahoma,” Taylor said.