If Monday night was any indication, Michigan women’s basketball coach Kevin Borseth may need to rely on his bench more than he expected at the beginning of the season.

The Wolverines found a late burst of energy to pull out a 68-54 win over New Mexico State, but Michigan fans left Crisler Arena unimpressed by this victory compared to Thursday’s exciting win over Kansas.

Of course, the Aggies (6-4) are a totally different team than the Jayhawks, but they are a team that Michigan (7-3) should have easily taken out of the game.

Instead, the matchup was characterized by 10 lead changes, 43 combined turnovers and 33 steals.

“We just had to work our way into it,” sophomore guard Jenny Ryan said. “Our shots weren’t falling, but we knew we would get it together eventually.”

Although the Wolverines still won the contest against New Mexico State, there was an evident lack of composure, energy and rhythm. The Wolverines’ five-minute dry spell and 38.5 shooting percentage in the first half revealed that sluggishness.

The production off the bench was the most distinctive difference between the Wolverines’ victory over undefeated Kansas and the manufactured win against New Mexico State — a team that only beat Alcorn State by six points. Against the Jayhawks, the Michigan bench players tallied 24 points, compared to only 12 against the Aggies.

Michigan, an aggressive team on the defensive end that lacks offensive production, is 6-1 when its bench players score more than 10 points in a game. Conversely, the Wolverines are 1-2 when the bench scores less than 10.

“It’s good for our team because when we get worn down, our bench can produce,” sophomore forward Nya Jordan said after Thursday’s game. “The bench can be a threat too, and I feel like that’s really a success for our team right now.”

Specifically, sophomore guard Sam Arnold has been a huge contributor to Michigan’s success. The Wolverines have gone 4-0 when Arnold hits double-digits in scoring. And in those games, Michigan displayed some of its most aggressive offense.

In the Wolverines’ victory over Kansas, Arnold led the bench and was the team’s second leading scorer with 12 points. She also collected two rebounds and made a steal. In Monday’s game, Arnold only contributed four points and one rebound.

Clearly, Michigan cannot pinpoint its lethargic play on Arnold’s lack of offense against the Aggies. But the Wolverines should rely more on production from the bench. Past games have proven that when the bench is hot, Michigan is a tough opponent to beat.

When the starting five is struggling to gain control over an opponent like New Mexico State, the Wolverines need to resort to a different game plan. And consistent production from bench players could be the answer to this dilemma.