Michigan center fielder Jonathan Kim holds a bat over his shoulder as he prepares to swing at the ball.
Georgia McKay/Daily. Buy this photo.

EAST LANSING — On Tuesday, sophomore center-fielder Jonathan Kim started his first game in a month and a half after nursing a hand injury. But as he launched a ball over the right field wall on Sunday, Kim was truly back. 

Despite the weekend losses, Michigan snatched a final win in the series on Sunday against Michigan State to avoid its first Big Ten series sweep. In the last two weeks, Kim has slowly made his presence felt as a pinch hitter or to add strength in the outfield. However, the Wolverines reaped the benefits this weekend in his return to the lineup. 

“We’ve lost a little thump,” Michigan coach Tracy Smith said. “To have him back gives us a little more power and a little more balance. So hopefully he can go off of that and keep going.”

The Wolverines and the Spartans kept a close margin during the duration of the game, with the lead regularly changing as each offense had their own surges. And Kim was a major factor throughout, walking in the first inning and eventually scoring Michigan’s first run of the day. But as both teams went back and forth through the early innings, Kim made his own mark at the plate in the fourth inning, blasting a home run to right field.

And Kim’s home run was only the start of his day. 

The Wolverines welcomed Kim’s hitting presence. He consistently reached base, putting together three hits on the day. Even when his teammates couldn’t bring him home, he remained vigilant at the plate. 

Though Kim and the rest of Michigan’s hitters made strong contact at the plate, the Wolverines trailed by one going into the ninth inning. However, Kim’s dependability appeared once more, in perfect time for Michigan. 

Bases loaded and zero outs is a dream scenario when trailing in the top of the ninth inning. And while a flashy double or a grand slam makes the headlines, Kim knew he only needed to bring home one run. He grounded out into a double play, but at that point it didn’t matter. It was just enough to send freshman outfielder AJ Garcia home and give the Wolverines a fighting chance to win the game. 

And while this was Kim’s first series back in the starting lineup, he didn’t hesitate to pick up where he left off. His home run Sunday wasn’t his first in weeks, but simply his second of the weekend. 

“I would sum it up by saying it’s good to have him back,” Smith said.

As conference play winds down, each weekend series adds more pressure on the path to the Big Ten Tournament. With Michigan losing its first Big Ten Series, the importance of Sunday’s game loomed over the field. An extra conference win holds weight, and Kim’s return aided the offensive collective to add one to the win column before returning home. 

Clinching a win Sunday was crucial to Michigan’s chances to make the Big Ten Tournament, and Kim’s reappearance to the lineup was a welcomed sight. But instead of the Wolverines falling a third time to Michigan State, Kim made it known that he was back.