It seems the Gators might have drowned in the swamp. With the disappointing performance from Florida this season, the usual gut-wrenching rivalry of the past between the Gators and the Tennessee Volunteers might have lost its excitement this weekend. But it was seen last week that absolutely anything can happen in college football, and the Florida-Tennessee game is still always one to watch.

Virginia Tech has only needed its running game to win, but it might have to go to the air as it collides with the best rushing defense in the country this weekend.

As for Kansas State, this ranked team will face its first real test of the season with Southern Cal., which has proven to be the real deal.

No. 10 Florida at No. 4 Tennessee, 3:30 p.m., CBS: Before the season, this game looked to be a classic matchup between the two big SEC powerhouses. Now, this game itself could turn out to be as disappointing as new Florida coach Ron Zook. In response to a question on the performance of his team last week, Zook said “I feel good.” He said this after his Gators unsoundly defeated an Ohio team 34-6, in which the score barely reflected the horrendous performance of both the team and the coaching staff. To put it in perspective, Ohio is a team which lost 31-0 to Division I-AA Northeastern but trailed Florida by only eight going into the half. Last season the team would have been dissected by former Coach Steve Spurrier for such a lousy win. The loss of Spurrier to the NFL might have Florida quarterback and Heisman-candidate Rex Grossman wondering if he should have joined his former coach. After an early interception toss, Grossman and the Gators trailed for nearly an eternity after inclimate weather suspended play. The embarrassment continued, as Florida repeated mistake after mistake, showing their defensive line was as generous as Zook’s perception of performance.

Tennessee looks forward to filling the role of the Gator hunter this week. The probable return of Kelley Washington to the Tennessee lineup will only inflict more damage to the almost-extinct gators.

Tennessee 38, Florida 17

No. 7 Virginia Tech at No. 19 Texas A&M, 3:30 p.m.: The game can be summed up with two words: Suggs and Jones. Virginia Tech’s opponents know that the Hokies’ run is coming, and still no one can stop it. Lee Suggs’ 331 yards, Kevin Jones’ 281 yards and a combined 10 touchdowns for the season has convinced coach Frank Beamer to call them “The Untouchables.” Quite fitting since the Hokies rarely needed to pass as they ran over Marshall last Thursday.

Suggs and Jones will have to prove themselves again against Texas A&M’s No. 1 run defense in the country – one that hasn’t allowed a 100-yard rusher in two years. It might be a little susceptible, though, after a victory over Pittsburgh two weeks ago that was a bit too close for comfort. Coming off of a bye, the Aggies need this win to boost their ranking heading into their rough conference schedule.

Unfortunately for Texas A&M, most of the Texas football fans will be focused on the in-state “rivalry” between Texas and Houston. This will further the aggravation of the Aggies as they will have trouble harnessing Virginia Tech’s potent offense. This “Battle of the Engineers” will certainly be one to watch.

Virginia Tech 30, Texas A&M 21

No. 11 Southern Cal at No. 25 Kansas State, 7 p.m., TBS: Just as Steve Spurrier graduated to the NFL, former Patriots coach Pete Carroll was sent back to school, as coach of Southern Cal. The Trojans are one of the hottest teams with one of the toughest schedules in college football. No. 25 Kansas State might be the least difficult game on Carroll’s mind with upcoming matchups against Washington, Washington State, California, Oregon and Notre Dame.

The Trojans did slaughter Colorado 40-3 last weekend, which makes one wonder why the Buffalos weren’t knocked out of the polls before last week.

While Southern Cal. has been on the up-and-up so has Kansas State, which entered the polls for the first time this season. Unlike the Trojans, the Wildcats have yet to be tested, and can still be considered unproven. With an otherwise easy nonconference schedule, Kansas State needs this game badly. It’s no lie, Kansas State’s first three games were against Western Kentucky, Louisiana-Monroe and Eastern Illinois, all teams who don’t exactly ring a bell when one thinks of college football powerhouses. Look for Kansas State to be riled up for this important match-up, but expect Southern Cal. quarterback Carson Palmer and the Trojans to pull ahead fairly early in the game.

Southern Cal. 34, Kansas State 18