Defense wins championships, as the Michigan field hockey team found out during its national title run last year. Michigan can only hope that this year there will be more days like Saturday, and fewer days like Sunday.

After playing a virtually flawless defensive game on Saturday against North Carolina and allowing just one shot on goal, the Wolverines faltered against a strong Wake Forest attack on Sunday, yielding 18 shots. The Wolverines walked away from the Big Ten/ACC challenge in Chapel Hill, NC with a 1-1 record to start their championship defense.

“Wake Forest came at us with more on Sunday,” sophomore defender Kate Dillon said.

Michigan allowed Kelly Dolton and Wake Forest too many chances and penalty corners to win. Maloney was tested early and often, and despite her career high four saves, the team fell 2-0.

“She played really well for us,” freshman defender Lori Hillman said. “She’s a good leader and keeps everyone in good position.”

Communication was another problem in the Wake Forest game.

“I felt stronger on Saturday,” Dillon said. “On Sunday, I think we stopped communicating a little bit, and I was more hesitant to go to the ball.”

The shutout win on Saturday was impressive, given the three vital players that Michigan lost from of its championship defense of a year ago. The departures of starting goalie Maureen Tasch and top defenders Catherine Foreman and Laura Stinson left formidable holes in Michigan’s defense. For many teams, losing those players would require time for the new defense to gel.

The Wolverines aren’t buying that theory though. Coming off a championship has changed their perspective, and the Wolverines aren’t expecting any drop-offs in chemistry or talent.

“I think we have a really great outlook this year,” Dillon said. “We’re really strong and cohesive as a defense.”

Juniors Stephanie Johnson and Kristi Gannon are expected to anchor a talented and deep defense, and Maloney will be looked upon to carry the load in goal. According to Dillon, Maloney has comparable experience to Tasch, and will be up to the challenge.