Red Berenson hates this time of year.

Specifically, he dislikes when the season ends and there is a period of time when he doesn’t know who, aside from the graduating seniors, will be gone next year.

At a program like Michigan, which brings in elite recruiting classes full of NHL draft picks every year, it’s expected that some players may not stay all four years.

“That’s the worst part of the end of the season,” Berenson said. “Players get all excited about it, and their families get all excited about it, and then sometimes they jump at it. Sometimes, common sense kicks in and they realize there is no rush.”

Last year, both Alex Guptill and Phil Di Giuseppe decided to forgo their senior years to join their respective NHL organizations. Two years ago, Jacob Trouba left after his freshman season to join the Winnipeg Jets.

This year, three Wolverines will have to make that same tough decision: freshman forward Dylan Larkin, freshman defenseman Zach Werenski and junior forward Andrew Copp.

Larkin, the Detroit Red Wings’ first-round draft pick in 2014, just finished an impressive freshman campaign that earned him the Big Ten Freshman of the Year honor. He led all conference freshmen with 47 points (15 goals and 32 assists) and finished second on the team in points, trailing only senior Zach Hyman.

Larkin could feasibly play games for the Red Wings this season, but would most likely join the Grand Rapids Griffins in the American Hockey League should he choose that route.

“The Red Wings have already opened the door for him to know that it’s up to him to stay in school or if he wants to play in Grand Rapids,” Berenson said.

Copp, the Wolverines’ captain and Winnipeg Jets draft pick, remained non-committal on a return for next season. The junior finished third on the team points, registering 31 on 14 goals and 17 assists.

It didn’t seem likely that he’d bolt after this season, but Berenson noted Winnipeg loves signing its players after their junior seasons, and it wouldn’t be any different for Copp.

“When you’re a junior and a good player like he is, they try to sign their juniors, whether they think you’re ready or not,” Berenson said. “They’ll tell you what you want to hear, and that’s the reality of it.”

Copp added that he “took a step this year” and feels “decent” about where he currently stands.

“I’m trying to figure out what is my best option for next year,” Copp said. “I’ll probably take another week to figure that out.

“It’s definitely a decision I have to make. I don’t think I’ll be getting any outside opinion. The people who matter to me most, I’ve already talked to.”

Werenski, though, is in a completely different situation. The 17-year old freshman is just now draft eligible, and many predict that he will be a top-10 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft.

The freshman was arguably the Wolverines’ top defenseman, contributing nine goals and 16 assists, earning him a spot on the All-Big Ten First Team.

Unfortunately for Michigan, NHL organizations often want their top draft choice to enter their system as soon as possible. That means Werenski wouldn’t be wearing the maize and blue next season if the professional team that drafts him has its way.

“I think he will be in a bit of a tug of war with whoever drafts him,” Berenson said. “They might want him out. If I were him, I would just stay put for at least another year, keep growing my game, and I think he’s fine with that. But let’s see who drafts him and how aggressive they come after him.”

It’s feasible that Copp, Larkin and Werenski could all leave. It’s also possible that all of them could stay.

But according to Berenson, the decision is simple and can be boiled down to an analogy.

“It’s just like having a driver’s license,” Berenson said. “You know you’re going to get a license when you’re 16. But how about when you’re 14? Are you ready to take a Corvette to Chicago when you’re 14? I don’t think so. Now when you’re 16, you might think you are and you might be OK. But you’ll probably be better off when you’re 18 or 19 or 20 to be trusted and confident and so on.

“It’s not that much different when all these people watch pro hockey on TV and think, ‘Well yeah, I can play there, I’m as good as that guy.’ They have no idea.”