Marshall Warren skates on the ice.
Emily Alberts/Daily. Buy this photo.

A homecoming is on the horizon for Marshall Warren. 

Per Ethan Sears on X, the former Michigan hockey defenseman has signed a two-year entry-level contract with the New York Islanders, set to begin in the 2024-25 season. 

Warren was drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the sixth round of the 2019 NHL Draft, but after spending his undergraduate career with Boston College and his fifth year as a Wolverine, that offer has expired. 

But this NHL offer is more special for Warren. As a Long Island native, he will get the chance to play for his home team.

Warren has had a stellar career in collegiate hockey. In his career as an Eagle, Warren captained Boston College his senior year, and across his undergraduate career, he played in 130 games, scoring 20 goals and tallying 57 points. 

At Michigan, Warren has been a leader on and off the ice. His veteran leadership was a clear inspiration to the entire roster and he stepped up in moments of adversity.

With 18 points this season, Warren has been a crucial piece to the Wolverine puzzle from the blue line. Wearing the ‘A,’ he has showcased his ability to come up with clutch moments for Michigan. He scored a game-winning five-hole goal in the Wolverines’ sweep over Notre Dame in the regular season and capitalized on a nifty net-front chance in the Big Ten Championship. 

Most importantly, he came up big in the NCAA Regional Final against Michigan State. He sent a well-placed pass from senior defenseman Jacob Truscott into the back of the net, setting off a scoring frenzy against the Spartans that punched Michigan’s ticket to the Frozen Four. 

Not many players get to return to their hometown and play on the sheet they grew up going to games at, looking up to the players donning the Islanders jersey. But soon, Warren will get that unique chance.