Marshall Warren stands at the ready on the ice.
Grace Lahti/Daily. Buy this photo.

Tied at one with three minutes left in the third period, the No. 17 Michigan hockey team needed to make a move. And for some time leading up to those three minutes, it was looking like Notre Dame might be the first to strike and gain the lead. 

But in came graduate defenseman Marshall Warren, who sent the puck flying into the back of the net, providing the Wolverines the life they needed to finish out the game strong. 

On his second senior night of his collegiate career, his second goal of the season couldn’t have come at a better time. Warren said it best: 

“I don’t know if you can write it better.”

The stakes couldn’t have been higher in Saturday’s 2-1 win over Notre Dame. Tied in the Big Ten standings, the two teams each needed the win. For Michigan, winning Saturday’s game meant hosting a Big Ten playoff game and moving up in the pairwise for the NCAA tournament. With it being the last regular season game at Yost, a loss meant this would be the last time the seniors played in their home barn. 

So there was a lot on the line, in more ways than one. And the seniors — specifically Warren — recognized this and rose to the challenge, earning the Wolverines a weekend sweep and home ice for the tournament. 

“For me, it’s special to see those guys who have been here for four years and how much they’ve given to the program,” Warren said. “I’m just so happy we got a win for them.”

Michigan was forced into early submission by the Fighting Irish in the first period after they capitalized on their first power play of the night. The Wolverines turned over puck after puck and didn’t get a solid offensive opportunity until halfway through the first period. 

On a defensive play, Warren mitigated a Notre Dame pass with his stick, tipping the puck to junior defenseman Ethan Edwards. Edwards collected the puck and sent it to Warren, who sent a well-placed pass to sophomore forward Gavin Brindley. With the assist from Warren, Brindley netted the puck, tying the game at one.

Warren has been relatively silent on the stat sheet this season, as he has gone 12 games without a point. He’s a consistent playmaker and leader on and off the ice — donning an ‘A’ as a graduate transfer — and it was clear he was hungry for points, both for himself and his team. 

And he earned them. 

“He’s been outstanding,” Michigan coach Brandon Naurato said. “He’s been good all year but just the second half (of the season) he’s taken it to a whole other level, with or without the puck, and his leadership has been huge.”

Warren not only helped in holding the Fighting Irish to one goal all weekend, but he took some shots of his own. In a four-on-four sequence, he waited at the netfront to knock the puck in, but an unlucky bounce sent the puck flying in the opposite direction. 

The second period, along with the first ten minutes of the third, were dead in both nets. Neither team could capitalize on their special teams chances, and it looked like the Wolverines’ offense was crumbling under the pressure. 

So, a defenseman took matters into his own hands, turning Michigan’s panic into confidence. 

Brindley started with the puck in the offensive zone and passed to sophomore forward Rutger McGroarty, who skated around and behind the net, sending the puck back to Brindley. Brindley then passed to Warren, who was waiting at the point, to send a slapshot goal through the five-hole and into the back of the net. 

“We were hunting the five-hole all weekend,” Warren said. “(Junior forward Dylan Duke) had two in the five-hole yesterday. So it’s not a thought in the moment, but worked out the way it did and I’m just happy it went in. Brindley made a hell of a pass, so just good overall feelings.”

Warren’s goal secured Michigan’s home ice and provided hope for its postseason bid. Even though it was Warren’s second senior night, Saturday’s win off the back of his game-winning goal will surely be one he remembers fondly.