Dusty May stands behind a podium and speaks into a microphone.
Following coach Dusty May, former FAU center Vlad Goldin is transferring to Michigan. Georgia McKay/Daily. Buy this photo.

New Michigan men’s basketball coach Dusty May is bringing in the final new piece of his roster — though it’s not a new one to him. 

On Monday, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski first reported via X that center Vlad Goldin will follow May from Florida Atlantic north and transfer to Michigan. Goldin began his career at Texas Tech, spending one year with the Red Raiders before going to Boca Raton for three years under May with the Owls. He will now exercise his final year of college eligibility with the Wolverines. 

At 7-foot-1, Goldin brings an imposing threat, both scoring at and protecting the rim. He had a breakout junior season with FAU, averaging 10.2 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.2 blocks in 21 minutes while starting every game. His presence was crucial in the Owls’ Cinderella run to the Final Four, including his double-double in the Elite Eight. 

During his senior season, Goldin took another step forward. He averaged 15.7 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game as FAU earned a No. 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament. He also improved from the charity stripe, averaging two more free throws taken per game and hitting them at a 7% better rate than in 2022-23.

At Michigan, Goldin fits in as a true center, who will compete for playing time with redshirt sophomore forward Will Tschetter and junior center Danny Wolf, who recently transferred from Yale. Goldin is the sixth player to commit to the Wolverines out of the transfer portal, and likely occupies their final open roster spot. 

With every scholarship slot seemingly filled, May has taken the challenge of rebuilding Michigan’s roster in stride. Landing Goldin adds one more key piece and provides depth at center, and it doesn’t hurt that May already has plenty of familiarity with him either.