Michigan baseball infielder Mitch Voit stretches to catch the ball to get the opposing player out at first base.
A silver linings to Jonathan Kim and Greg Pace Jr.'s injuries for the Michigan baseball team has been the versatility found in their replacements. Sydney Hastings-Wilkins/Daily. Buy this photo.

Ever since sophomore outfielders Jonathan Kim and Greg Pace Jr. went down with injuries three weeks ago, the Michigan baseball team has struggled to find a consistent formula for defensive success, playing around with various lineups. But this revolving door might just be the Wolverines’ solution — and it may even help their offense as well.

It starts with Mitch Voit.

Recently, the sophomore first baseman and right-hander has been thrust into new positions all over the outfield. Against Michigan State on Tuesday, he made several acrobatic plays in right field to save several runs. 

“Mitch is a baseball player,” Michigan coach Tracy Smith said Tuesday. “So you can put him anywhere on the field. That’s why we’re doing it. I sound like a broken record, but that’s the hand we’re dealt with right now. We are trying to do anything and everything we can to win a baseball game given our circumstances. What I love about Mitch is, he’s like, ‘Yeah, wherever you need to put me if it helps the team.’ ”

And when Voit makes his weekly start on the mound or plays in the outfield, senior Dylan Stanton takes his place at first base. Seeing more playing time since Voit was moved to the outfield grass, Stanton has shown what he’s made of. Culminating in two multi-hit games this past weekend against Penn State, Stanton’s efforts helped vault the Wolverines to its first series victory of the season. While his statistics don’t jump off the page, Stanton has proven to be a capable addition to Michigan’s lineup.

This discovery with Stanton hasn’t been the Wolverines’ only takeaway. The carousel in center field has also given the coaching staff some answers about their freshman outfielders.

Most notably, AJ Garcia has gone from seeing virtually no playing time to starting. Even if the move is temporary until Kim and Pace return, Garcia has already flashed his potential. A speedy runner with a quick first step, he’s able to both beat out an infield hit and track down a long fly ball. Though a small sample size, he’s hitting 7-for-14 with a 1.182 OPS. He is also an effective bunter, already laying down several bunt singles this year. This potentially gives him ample opportunity to pinch hit in important scenarios such as a squeeze play.

“What we really needed to do is play a really really good center fielder which (AJ) did,” Smith said Sunday. “But he also (had) a really good offensive performance as well. Stole a couple of bases using his speed. So that was a great first step for him. But it’s also a great sign for us. We’re gonna need that.”

With Garcia stepping up in center field and Voit filling a gap in right, Smith has found not just satisfactory, but strong replacements for Kim and Pace.

Additionally as Smith switches things up to find lineups and defensive alignments that work well, other players have seen extended playing time. Freshman designated hitter Collin Priest and freshman third baseman Joonsung Park have also cracked the lineup, showing flashes of potential at the plate. 

Priest has already proven clutch, smashing a walk-off home run against San Diego. Park answered the call as well, slashing an RBI double to right field and walking twice against the Spartans.

“But (the) silver lining of some of that … stuff from the early season is at least we’re forced to give these guys opportunities with games,” Smith said. “So that experience needs to pay off, hopefully in the immediate and certainly in the future.

And with these freshmen who have cracked the lineup, coupled with Voit and Stanton, the Wolverines have found consolation for Pace and Kim’s injuries. While losing the outfielders hurts, Michigan can take solace in the fact that there are players who can step up to the plate in their absence.