Blake Corum runs down the field with the ball.
Anna Fuder/Daily. Buy this photo.

DETROIT — The Michigan football team’s decorated running back is adding another accomplishment to his name. Selected by the Los Angeles Rams with the No. 83 pick, Blake Corum is officially beginning his professional career after four seasons with the Wolverines.

In those four seasons, Corum amassed 3,737 yards and 61 touchdowns. That career touchdown number set a new Michigan program record, and Corum also leads the program in single-season rushing touchdowns with 58 in 2023 and career points scored with 366.

Corum broke out as the Wolverines’ lead back in his junior season in 2022, rushing for 1,463 yards and being named an All-American and the Big Ten running back of the year. However, his season was cut short after he suffered a knee injury against Illinois in November of 2022. Unable to make an impact in Michigan’s most important games of the season following his injury, he decided to return for his senior season.

In 2023, Corum scored a touchdown in all 15 of the Wolverines’ games, breaking numerous records and helping lead his team to an undefeated season and National Championship. With plenty of focus on his shifty rushing abilities, Corum’s goal leading up to the draft was to prove his versatility to NFL scouts, mainly his ability to contribute in the passing game.

“I just wanted to show them I’m capable, I’m versatile,” Corum said at Michigan’s Pro Day on March 22. “I’m in pass (protection). I can run and I can line up a slot, track a ball, so I’m really happy with how today went.”

Clearly the Rams liked what they saw at Corum’s pro day. Although he hardly ever lined up in the slot for Michigan, he caught some balls out of the backfield. Against Alabama in the Rose Bowl, Corum caught two passes — one on fourth down and one for a touchdown. His 17-yard rushing touchdown in overtime sent the Wolverines to the National Championship game, and his two touchdowns there capped off a stellar career.

Leaving his name in the Michigan record books, Corum is now making the leap to the next level, hoping to make a similar impact on his new team.