Zak Zinter crouches at the line.
Grace Beal/Daily. Buy this photo.

DETROIT — Four months ago, Zak Zinter lay on the field in agony. In one of the most pivotal games of the Michigan football team’s 2023 season against Ohio State, the offensive lineman suffered a gruesome injury, breaking his leg and ending his collegiate career earlier than he anticipated.

But his football career was far from over. At the NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns selected Zinter No. 85 overall, meaning he will make his return to the field at the next level. Zinter is the seventh Wolverine drafted in the first three rounds, a program record in the modern draft era. Zinter’s selection also marks three consecutive picks for Michigan in the third round.

In his four-year career with the Wolverines, Zinter started 42 games, all but one at right guard. He was a key part of Michigan’s two consecutive Joe Moore Award-winning offensive lines in 2021 and 2022 and named a unanimous All-American in 2023.

“I think my tape shows it for itself,” Zinter said March 22. “I’ve had four great years of football, and didn’t go my way towards the end of the season, but just my knowledge of the game, personality, good guy, just I know a lot about football too. Getting in there, watching film with them, being able to show them that I’m a smart guy as well.”

Although unable to work out at the Wolverines’ Pro Day, Zinter stated that he was feeling good and that his recovery was on track. He expected to be fully ready for NFL training camp, leaving no doubt as to what he would be able to do for his new team. And now he knows where too, heading to Cleveland to prove he’s healthy and ready to compete at the next level.