Illustration of two people sitting next to each other on a bench wearing Apple Vision Pros. One is wearing a shirt with the name "Rohan" on it and in a speech bubble, the other asks "I wonder what Rohan is doing?"
Design by Evelyn Mousigian.

As of Feb. 2, people in the United States can buy Apple’s first virtual reality headset —that is, if they have a minimum of $3,499 to spare. While users will argue over its most essential features, this device is simply a computer in the form of what can best be described as high-tech ski goggles. So what’s all the hype about?

By most accounts, the Apple Vision Pro is the most advanced device of its kind  available to the general public. It comes complete with VR and Augmented Reality capabilities — it can immerse you into a whole new world, such that you cannot see your surroundings (virtual reality) and it can seamlessly integrate the outside world with your new computer (augmented reality). No headset has ever come this close to making one look like Tony Stark, which is presumably how many picture themselves with the Vision Pro on. That being said, this device is far from perfect, and everybody knows it, including Apple themselves. 

Before delving into all the gimmicks, it is hard to look past a price that steep, and $3,499 is just the beginning. For anyone with glasses, be prepared to spend an extra $248 on lenses and optical inserts. Are you concerned that you might slam into a pole and crack your bulky goggles in half? Better invest in Apple Care, starting at $499.

Most concerning are videos surfacing online of Vision Pro users playing with their own safety. Is someone in a self-driving car, immersed in their device, a representation of how the average person will use the Vision Pro? No, but it could still be a frightening sneak peek into our future. There seems to be a general consensus that it’s okay for companies like Tesla and Apple to release softwares that isn’t fully developed yet. But you don’t need to be an expert to see that a person driving a car with a faulty self-driving feature and a headset very much in its infancy spells danger for everyone.

The lack of safety, albeit the most important, is not the only disadvantage of the Vision Pro. Maybe it’s just me, but all I see when I watch the aforementioned video is the people from “WALL-E” — permanently sitting in their comfy chairs, all their attention on the screen right in front of their face. A device that is aiming to be sleek and state-of-the-art might induce the sort of laziness and lethargy that the characters in the movie display. There is a strong argument to be made here, as has been with social media in the past: While this device may increase our connectivity online, it’ll alienate us even further from society and the people around us.

Admittedly, some of the clips that people have released exhibit cool features: a virtual timer hanging above your oven, digital sticky notes on your refrigerator and an excel document in the corner of your eye, constantly tracking your stocks, bets or investments of choice. Unfortunately, that’s all these things are cool, quirky and fun for a little while.

That being said, even if you are unbothered by the overarching commentary regarding the impact of devices like the Vision Pro on our daily lives and trust that you will use the device in a safe and sensible manner, there are practical issues to keep in mind. Using the Vision Pro means your hair and makeup might get messed up every time you put it on and take it off. Using the Vision Pro means that the next time you see something cool, you can’t simply turn your phone or your laptop around and show it to your friend. Using the Vision Pro means that your computer camera travels with you everywhere and sees everything you do. 

For those who choose to embrace the Vision Pro as the next in a line of revolutionary devices, I wish you luck. Without a doubt, these headsets, especially when used correctly, have incredible potential. Before you decide to swipe your credit card, however, I urge you to ask yourself just one question: Who are you doing this for? In a world where companies like Apple are vying for your attention — where they only make money if you look at a screen created by them — ask yourself if this is what you really want before you put on the glasses.

Rushabh Shah is a Senior Columnist from Mumbai, India who writes about storytelling, society and community. If you appreciate his ability to sneak a sports reference into every piece he writes, you can reach out to him at rushabhk@umich.edu.