By avoiding the limited options and opening up political races to more than two candidates, voters are able to weigh their options instead of being forced to simply vote for the “lesser of two evils.”
Quote Card by Opinion

For only the seventh time in U.S. history, the American electorate is faced with a presidential rematch. Some former presidents like William McKinley and Dwight D. Eisenhower were successful in retaining the presidency, defeating the opposing party for a second time. More unpopular presidents, such as John Adams or Martin Van Buren, were defeated by their political rivals, whom they had beaten four years earlier.

While the concept of a political rematch in the 2024 election may not be unique, it is certainly disappointing to many Americans. A vast majority of voters disapprove of the rematch between President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump. Many are turning to alternatives like Independent candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. or Green Party candidate Jill Stein. Today, nearly 63% of voters say a third party is needed, the highest percentage in decades, according to a Gallup poll. 

Despite this support, American political history has consistently shown it is nearly impossible for third-party candidates to make any significant progress in a general election. Instead, these candidates only succeed in taking votes away from the Republican or Democratic candidate that they are most ideologically similar to. Unfortunately, there is little room for alternative parties in our current election system. In recent years, campaigns for the Senate, House of Representatives and even president have become dominated by extreme candidates who profit off America’s two-party system. One U.S. state, however, might have the solution to America’s restrictive democratic practice. 

Ranked-choice voting provides a path to freer, fairer elections designed to reflect the preferences of all voters. Already proven successful in Alaska, this system allows for multiple candidates to run and often delivers results a vast majority of voters are content with. Here’s how it works: Numerous candidates, regardless of party affiliation, appear on the same ballot. Voters then rank the candidates from most to least preferred. Unlike an ordinary election where the winner receives the most votes, candidates must obtain a majority of votes to win. If no candidate reaches more than 50% of the vote, the election enters an “instant run-off,” with the lowest preferred candidate being eliminated. Ballots of voters that ranked the failed candidate as their most preferred are then reevaluated and their vote goes to their second-most preferred candidate. This process continues until one candidate reaches more than 50%, at which point they win the election. 

Ranked-choice voting is the inclusive, fair election system Americans have been asking for. By avoiding the limited options and opening up political races to more than two candidates, voters are able to weigh their options instead of being forced to simply vote for the “lesser of two evils.” Even if a voter’s top choice is eliminated, they can take comfort that their voice still matters, as their other choices will continue to be considered. Not only is this a fairer election process, but it is also far more democratic.

Take Alaska, for example. In 2020, state residents voted to institute ranked-choice voting. As a result, Alaska elected the first Democrat in 49 years and the first woman in state history to Congress, beating out 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee and extreme candidate Sarah Palin. But ranked-choice voting does not just benefit Democrats. In 2022, moderate Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski was reelected, beating out Republican rival Kelly Tshibaka, who Trump endorsed . Murkowski’s election proves ranked-choice voting favors moderate candidates accepted by all, regardless of their political party. 

Although novel, ranked-choice voting has been legally upheld time and time again. Legal scholars across the country, including in Alaska, agree that the voting process is constitutional. There is already legislation drafted that merely needs to be passed to bring ranked-choice voting to federal elections. The Fair Representation Act would do away with the current restrictive voting system and replace it with a fair process designed to give equal power to all voters.

There is one caveat: Ranked-choice voting is complicated and complex on its face. The average voter could be put off by all the new rules and may not support the idea of reassessing our democratic system as we know it. In the eyes of these voters, the U.S. electoral system has functioned relatively smoothly over the past 248 years, surviving any and all hardships.

However, America is currently experiencing some of the most divisive times since the Civil War. On one side of the political spectrum, extreme politicians have hijacked the Republican Party and are distancing themselves from America’s founding ideals. On the other side, Democratic politicians are preoccupied with fighting the authoritarian threats of their political rivals. In order to revive cooperative politics and strengthen an American democracy currently under attack, ranked-choice voting must be federally instituted.

For hundreds of years, the U.S. has been a beacon of democracy. While our nation may not have always upheld its promise of universal suffrage, it has been dedicated to expanding voting rights both at home and abroad. Now, our country faces a critical time of self-evaluation. Does America stick to the status quo, dissatisfying millions of voters and forcing them to choose candidates they believe fail to represent them? Or does the nation do what it has always done and fight for the strengthening of democracy? The Fair Representation Act must be passed in order for ranked-choice voting to become a reality. It is a step in the right direction and must be implemented to deliver an America chosen by all.

Zach Ajluni is an Opinion Columnist who writes about American politics and current events for The Michigan Daily. He can be reached at zajluni@umich.edu.