April 10, 2024
By Rachel Mintz

Caleb Rosenbaum/Daily.

Students 4 Decarceration hosts Washtenaw County sheriff candidate town hall

Alyshia Dyer, Derrick Jackson and Ken Magee, the three candidates running for Washtenaw County sheriff, met for a town hall Monday evening to discuss their platforms. The event was organized by Students 4 Decarceration, a student-run organization that aims to end inequities in the criminal legal system. Click here to read more about their platforms and what University of Michigan students and Ann Arbor community members discussed at the town hall.

Blanca Heredia stands to the right of a podium and speaks into a microphone. The sign on the podium has a Block M on it, above text that reads “University of Michigan.”

Josh Sinha/Daily.

Center for Political Studies hosts ‘The 2024 Mexican Elections in Context’ event at Michigan Union

About 100 University of Michigan community members met Tuesday afternoon for “The 2024 Mexican Elections in Context,” a panel discussion hosted by the Center for Political Studies. The event showcased a panel of Mexican political experts who discussed the 2024 Mexican electoral process and the June 2 election date. This year will have far-reaching implications, with the 2024 elections deciding the president, 500 members of Congress, 128 members of the Senate and thousands of local officials.

A map of the state of Michigan with its congressional districts colored red and blue, with a giant pencil erasing the colors of several districts. The illustration is simple and cartoonish.

Design by Matthew Prock.

New House map combats racial gerrymandering in Michigan Legislature

Three federal judges approved new Michigan House of Representatives voting districts on March 27 following a lawsuit that alleged illegal racial gerrymandering in Detroit-area voting districts. The redrawing of districts takes place following the Senate passing a procedure in 2018 that instituted the Michigan Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission, a 13-person group of randomly selected constituents responsible for creating the state’s congressional, Senate and House district lines.

Digital art illustration of Donald Trump walking out of a burning forest.

Design by Hannah Willingham.

Climate is on the ballot this November

The official album cover for ‘Unheard’ by Hozier
This is the official album cover for ‘Unheard’ by Hozier.

On ‘Unheard,’ Hozier bids the stomp-clap-hey farewell

Hozier embodies the ethos of straightforward Americana with a Williamsburg brogue and a reverence for soul. Hozier is nostalgic, bluesy and full of erudite references and sexual invitations. ‘Unheard’ is creating a third wind for Hozier’s career and reinvents the “stomp-clay-hey” for the 2020s. Read on to hear the inspiration for the song and how Hozier’s Unheard EP represents all his leftover sins.

Illustration of Amelia Dimoldenberg and Jack Harlow.

Design by Abby Shreck.

YouTube and redesigning the celebrity interview

Illustration of the books "The Yellow Wallpaper", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "The Bell Jar", and "Perks of Being a Wallflower" in a stack.

Design by Evelyn Mousigian.

The tell-tale mind: Psychosis and mental health in literature

Spring has sprung! The sunny weather this week may distract you from your studies, but be sure to subscribe to The Daily’s newsletters to keep up with the latest happenings while you’re basking in the April warmth.

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2024 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER