April 16, 2024
By Emma Lapp

History professor Tiya Miles talks about Harriet Tubman and environmental storytelling in The Michigan League.

Julianne Yoon/Daily.

Tiya Miles intertwines Black history and environmental challenges at annual EIHS lecture

Harvard University professor Tiya Miles came to the University of Michigan to speak to about 80 students and community members about her research exploring Harriet Tubman’s life and environmental storytelling. As part of the Eisenberg Institute for Historical Studies annual lecture series, this lecture, titled “Species Insurance: Harriet Tubman, Environmental Storytelling, and Historical Modes of Survival,” encouraged students to think more analytically about history. 

The Noon At Night walking tour walks by the Law Quad.

Arushi Sanghi/Daily.

UMich hosts Noon at Night cafe

Noon at Night, a global solidarity network that connects cultures through food, led tours through the U-M campus this past weekend. The tours are part of the organization’s broader initiative to highlight historical and modern student movements. During both sessions, Noon at Night hosted a cafe “teach-in,” focusing on student movements that are currently present on campus. 

Stacey Abrams sits in a chair as she addresses the room. Celeste Watkins-Hayes sits in the foreground.

Ellie Vice/Daily.

‘There aren’t enough of us to quit’: Stacey Abrams talks democracy at Ford Deans Symposium

Political activist Stacey Abrams spoke at the Ford School of Public Policy to discuss democracy, voting rights, and diversity, equity and inclusion. This event was a part of the inaugural Dean’s Symposium.

Miles Anderson sits on the snowy Diag holding a sign that says "tell me a story"

Sarah Boeke/Daily.

Cheese thieves and refugees: I sat on the Diag and asked people to tell me a story

Illustration of the Mackinac Straits with an oil spill under the bridge.

Design by Emma Sortor.

Keep Michigan pure and shut down Line 5

Opinion Columnist Ethan Bittner argues that in order to keep Michigan “pure” — as most Michigan license plates say — and to prevent future environmental damage,  Line 5 must be shut down by the Michigan State Government or the Biden administration. Line 5 is an oil pipeline owned by the Canadian company Enbridge and runs from Superior, Wis. to Ontario, Canada. 

Illustration of a gladiator statue with a huge crack running through it.

Design by Vivien Wang.

Stop romanticizing history

Illustration of a hand holding money out in exchange for a friendship bracelet that reads "BFF"

Design by Natasha Eliya.

Buy my friendship

Spring has sprung! The sunny weather this week may distract you from your studies, but while you’re basking in the April warmth, be sure to subscribe to The Daily’s newsletters to keep up with the latest happenings

© 2024 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER