March 20, 2024
By Rachel Mintz

Kara Swisher speaks while sitting in a chair on stage.

Grace Beal/Daily.

Kara Swisher visits UMich to discuss “Burn Book: A Tech Love Story”

More than 100 University of Michigan and Ann Arbor community members gathered Monday evening to hear from award-winning journalist Kara Swisher and General Motors CEO Mary Barra. The two discussed Swisher’s newest memoir, “Burn Book: A Tech Love Story,” and her experience covering the profound development of technology over the past few decades. Read on to hear more about why Swisher pursued her tech-journalism career and her thoughts on misinformation and social media.

Illustration of a sign labeled "political cynicism" planted on the Earth.

Design by Michelle Yang.

UMich study finds correlation between political attacks on social media and political cynicism

A U-M study published in late January examined the correlation between the exposure to political attacks on social media with increased political cynicism. The study also considered the role that anxiety and anger play in mediating a distrusting attitude. Continue reading to understand what the results mean ahead of election season.

Illustration of Joe Biden standing at a podium with "Support Ann Arbor" projected behind him.

Design by Anna DeYoung.

A look at the American Rescue Plan three years later: What has Ann Arbor done with the money?

President Joe Biden signed the American Rescue Plan Act into law in March 2021, allocating $1.9 trillion to cities across the country to combat the economic ramifications of the COVID-19 pandemic. The city of Ann Arbor received $24.2 million and has since used the funds to support 16 projects across the city. While some of the funds are focused on replacing lost public-sector revenue, improving public health measures and implementing new city infrastructure, 46.9% of the funds are yet to be allocated. Learn more about these funds and projects here.

Illustration of two actors on a stage wearing a happy and sad theater mask respectively and trying to pull them off their faces.

Evelyn Mousigian/Daily

Of methods and madness

Illustration of a bookshelf.

Design by Avery Nelson.

Four books I put off reading for way too long

Whether it’s due to intimidation or the desire to wait for the right moment to read them, some books can be more difficult to start than others. If you’ve immediately bought a book by a favorite author and then let it sit on your bookshelf for a year, you’re not alone. Keep reading to find out how some of these books — “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn, “Beautiful World, Where Are You” by Sally Rooney, “Anxious People” by Fredrik Backman and “Sea of Tranquility” by Emily St. John Mandel — create stories that make an impact and deserve to take a break from the shelf.

Illustraion of a split screen of two people on laptops in Homestuck style. The woman, drawn as a Homestuck kid, on the left is wearing a troll headband and in a white room with four windows and a blue sky outside. The one on the right, drawn as a Homestuck troll with grey skin, has a dog ears headband, red Terezi Pyrope glasses, a pink scarf and is in a dark grey room with 12 windows and a red sunset outside.

Courtesy of Cecilia Ledezma and Katelyn Sliwinski.

‘Homestuck’: Recap, retrospective, redux

The official album cover for 'Yours Until The War Is Over' by Amigo The Devil

This image is the official album cover for ‘Yours Until The War Is Over’ by Amigo The Devil

On the new album, Amigo the Devil makes the banjo hardcore

Stressing about your summer plans? Distract yourself by staying up to date on all of The Michigan Daily’s content. Subscribe to The Daily’s newsletters to keep up with the latest happenings.

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2024 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER