March 13, 2024
By Rachel Mintz

Laurie McCauley sits at a table as she speaks to Daily staff members.

Kate Hua/Daily.

Provost Laurie McCauley talks free speech principles and generative AI in exclusive interview

The Michigan Daily sat down with University Provost Laurie McCauley to discuss the recently announced free speech principles, the impacts of generative artificial intelligence in academics, resources for faculty who have been harassed because of their academic work and more.

Screenshot of Ann Arbor City Council.

Courtesy of Amanda Vencloviate-Pirani.

City Council discusses FY2025 Budget during work session Monday night

Ann Arbor City Council met to discuss budget requests from various city departments for the 2025 fiscal year, which begins July 1. The council heard from Public Services, Parks and Recreation, the Office of Organizational Equity, Fire Department, the Downtown Development Authority and the Housing Commission at the meeting. Read on to learn more about requests for the budget and plans for the city to complete the budget and vote on it on May 20.

Front of University of Michigan Hospital.

Jeremy Weine/Daily.

Rebecca Cunningham, vice president for research, to become 18th president of University of Minnesota

The University of Minnesota Board of Regents selected Dr. Rebecca Cunningham, vice president for research at the University of Michigan, as its 18th president on March 5. Cunningham began her residency at the University of Michigan in 1996 and since has worked as the principal investigator for the Firearm Safety Among Children and Teens Consortium and as a William G. Barsan collegiate professor of emergency medicine. Learn more about Cunningham’s leadership and accomplishments as well as her path to the University of Minnesota. 

Michigan hockey forward T.J Hughes celebrates with his teammates on the ice.

Riley Nieboer/Daily.

SportsMonday: Michigan is right where it needs to be

Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya in “Dune: Part Two” holding each others faces.

This image was taken from the official press kit for “Dune: Part Two,” distributed by Warner Bros Pictures.

‘Dune: Part Two’ is genre-defining film

Genre-defining films are hard to come by, especially in the world of science-fiction, as countless Marvel movies, remakes or sequels to 20th-century classics are vying for audiences’ attention. In ‘Dune: Part Two’ Denis Villeneuve uses every technique in his filmmaking repertoire to create one of the greatest films of all time. Check out the Daily’s coverage on the complex story and the greatness of each actor.

Fun illustration of silhouettes of the protagonists of the films "Easy A", "Clueless", "Mama Mia", "The Titanic", and "10 Things I Hate About You"

Design by Vivien Wang.

We owe chick flicks an apology

Entire cast of "Abbott Elementary" stacked to the left with the show's title on the right

This image is from the official trailer for “Abbott Elementary” distributed by Hulu.

Career changes and romantics characterize ‘Abbott Elementary’ season 3

Worried about your St. Patrick’s Day outfit? Don’t worry, green looks good on you … and so does staying up to date on the news! Subscribe to The Daily’s newsletters to keep up with the latest happenings.

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2024 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER