Poster and art hang on the wall for the Art of Zingerman’s exhibit.
The Art of Zingerman's: A Feast for Your Eyes exhibit is displayed in the Multi-Purpose Room Wednesday afternoon in the Downtown Library. Tess Crowley/Daily. Buy this photo.

More than 100 original drawings by artist Ian Nagy will call the multipurpose room of the Ann Arbor Downtown Library home from March 6 to April 18. “The Art of Zingerman’s: A Feast for Your Eyes” exhibit is open to the public daily, free of charge, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Nagy is one of the main artists behind the illustrations covering Zingerman’s Delicatessen walls, packaging and menus. Established in 1982, Zingerman’s has grown into a community of food-related businesses in Ann Arbor, with 10 business branches offering various products and services. During Nagy’s time at the company, he has brought to life quirky characters along with vibrant depictions of Zingerman’s products. 

In an interview with The Michigan Daily, Nagy spoke about the origins and evolution of his business relationship with Zingerman’s. He said his relationship with the company began in 1991 and primarily focused on signage. He became the company’s first full-time illustrator in 1997, a position he has maintained ever since. Nagy said when he started working as an illustrator for the company, his initial goals were to make the food more approachable and to expand on the brand’s existing artistic image.

“The idea of it was to basically make all of this fancy food more approachable and more friendly so that people would be more likely to check it out,” Nagy said. “So with that stuff in mind I kind of took it in my own direction, but … the basics were already established.”

Over the course of 33 years, Nagy has been working with this aspiration in mind. The artworks adorning the walls of AADL’s lower level span from colorful illustrations of Zingerman’s cheeses and fruits to detailed monochromatic depictions of smiling customers and employees. 

Zingerman’s creative services, a division devoted to the artistic elements of the brand, played a role in bringing the exhibition to life. In an interview with The Daily, Sara Hudson, director of Zingerman’s creative services, said many of Nagy’s original art pieces were hidden away in storage. 

“We have all of this great art just sitting in filing cabinets and (we wanted to) find a way to put them out in the world and get him some extra recognition for his work,” Hudson said. 

Jason Ujvari, design manager of Zingerman’s creative services, shared his perspective on the importance of the exhibition. 

“To me, Ian’s art defines the Zingerman’s style,” Ujvari said. “The colors and the vibrancy of the detail of everything that he’s done is so much brighter, bolder, stronger in person. … I was like, ‘We got to show this off.’”

When deciding the venue for the exhibit, Hudson said she felt an Ann Arbor library would be a natural location to showcase Nagy’s art because of its many free community events and art displays

“People who live here know that the Ann Arbor libraries are really lucky to have such a vibrant library here and they do so many free community events and so many art displays that it seemed like a no-brainer,” Hudson said.

On the opening night of the exhibition, Nagy expressed gratitude for having his work displayed in the city’s local library as a native of Ann Arbor. 

“It’s an honor,” Nagy said. “I’m humbled by it. … I was able to have my old high school art teacher (come). Her class made it possible for me to put together a portfolio that I use to get the Zingerman’s job.”

Ujvari said the current exhibition aims to not only showcase Nagy’s dedication to Zingerman’s but also to generate revenue and enhance the profitability of Zingerman’s creative services. According to Ujvari, Zingerman’s creative services is looking to expand its business to more than just servicing the internal Zingerman’s companies in the future.

Nagy said he hopes visitors of the exhibit will find joy and amusement from his work.

“(I hope visitors will have) fun, as far as I’m concerned,” Nagy said. “Have a look at the artwork and enjoy it and maybe get a chuckle out of a few things.”

Hudson shares Ujvari’s wishes and also expresses the importance of showcasing physical artwork in a world turning toward digital work.

“I think it’s really special that we still have this, and that people can see what that handmade art looks like up close and personal and to really appreciate the work that goes into it,” Hudson said. 

Ujvari said he hopes people will have the opportunity to appreciate Nagy’s art. 

“What (Ian’s) able to convey just with ink and paint is absolutely phenomenal,” Ujvari said. “I hope everyone does get an opportunity to go down and see it because it is so much more than what you see in our newsletters or catalogs.” 

Daily News Contributor Jenna Hausmann can be reached at jenhaus@umich.edu