X-Men assembled in a desert.
This image is from the official trailer for “X-Men ’97” distributed by Disney+.

I’ve always been a casual Marvel fan. My dad grew up reading the comics and instilled in me a love for superhero media. I didn’t know the comic lore or every hero’s origin story, but I was a loyal fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Lately, however, I’ve grown disinterested with Marvel. The constant outpour of new content in Phase Five was overwhelming, and I simply couldn’t keep up. I stopped watching the latest projects, and suddenly I was months behind. Still, I longed for the Marvel I grew up watching, something new and exciting that didn’t exhaust me. Luckily, “X-Men ’97” has pulled me out of my slump and reignited my love for Marvel. 

“X-Men ’97” picks up where its ’90s predecessor left off, following the recent death of Prof. Charles Xavier (Ross Marquand, “The Walking Dead”). Cyclops (Ray Chase, “Jujutsu Kaisen”) is now tasked with carrying on the professor’s legacy, leading the X-Men and striving towards human-mutant coexistence. However, with new and old foes knocking at their door, the team is forced to adapt to their new circumstances.

Episode one begins with Roberto Da Costa (Gui Agustini, “The Time Traveler’s Wife”) being held hostage by the Friends of Humanity, a group intent on exterminating all mutants. Roberto is saved by Bishop (Isaac Robinson-Smith, “Voltron: Legendary Defender”), Storm (Alison Sealy-Smith, “X-Men: The Animated Series”) and Cyclops, who bring him to the X-Men’s mansion for protection. The team also discovers Sentinels in the possession of the Friends of Humanity, leading them to search for the source of this anti-mutant technology.

Despite being a direct continuation of the ’90s animated series, “X-Men ’97” is friendly for new viewers. Most of the team has established dynamics with one another, which threatens to become repetitive for fans of the ’90s animated series. Roberto’s introduction offsets potential repetition by establishing new conflicts and character dynamics. Hopefully, Roberto’s storyline will take center stage as the series progresses, as viewers learn more about his powers and what he can bring to the team.

Another risk stems from the sheer number of characters in the series. Juggling such a large cast is no easy feat, but “X-Men ’97” has handled it tactfully so far. Characterization is achieved through offhanded comments or actions rather than long stretches of exposition. New viewers don’t receive a crash course in every interpersonal conflict — they are naturally brought up in battle or casual conversation. The series conveys new information with similar subtlety, providing viewers with context without needing to hold their hands. 

This is, in part, thanks to the popularity of the X-Men. The team is packed full of iconic characters that even unfamiliar viewers know, and the series uses this to its advantage. Many of the original voice actors from the ’90s animated series reprise their roles, including Cal Dodd as Wolverine and Lenore Zann as Rogue. Both the new and returning actors deliver stellar performances, bringing voices just as unique as their characters. 

Merging the past and future is a tall task for any revival, which “X-Men ’97” manages beautifully. The animation style is saturated and the characters are true to their original designs, offering nostalgic appeal even to new viewers. Paired with the polish and technique of modern animation, the show is visually outstanding. The diversity in each character’s powers and fighting style is distinguished, making each fight scene dynamic and intense. Each mutant gets their chance to shine individually while also highlighting their ability to work as part of the team.

“X-Men ’97” is a brilliant revival that makes a solid case for its existence. The series taps into fans’ nostalgia while bringing a fresh storyline to the Marvel filmography. It managed to cure my Marvel fatigue, and I suspect it will do the same for many fans. Hopefully, this positive momentum continues and the season finishes just as strong as it starts.

Daily Arts Writer Morgan Sieradski can be reached at kmsier@umich.edu.