On Campus:
CSG proposes committee for fossil fuel divestment
Monday, a proposal to support the creation of a committee to research the University’s investments in oil and coal was brought to Central Student Government by CSG representative Swathi Shanmugasundaram, an LSA sophomore, and the Divest and Invest campaign, a coalition of students, faculty, staff and community members. The proposal was questioned by CSG President Bobby Dishell, a Public Policy senior, who wanted the group to perform research without needing to form a committee.

University President addresses Greek life controversies
University President Mark Schissel held a fireside chat Monday afternoon where he addressed the implications of recent Greek life ski trips. The University has recently severed ties with Sigma Alpha Mu, one of the fraternities reported to have vandalized a resort during their ski trip. Schissel asked the 30 students in the audience how to create a culture where it’s possible to have an enjoyable time without creating mayhem.

Women of Color Task Force holds conference
The University’s Women of Color Task Force held its 33rd annual career conference last Friday. The conference emphasized respect and confidence in a professional environment. The event is centered around the idea of empowering women of color to further their career and educational goals. As the largest professional development event hosted at the University, the conference offered 22 workshop sessions around campus.

Around the world:
University of Oklahoma racist fraternity video goes viral
An anonymous video released to media Saturday showed several University of Oklahoma Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity members chanting a racist song on a bus en route to a Greek life event. As a result, the fraternity has been removed from the University of Oklahoma and their house is in the process of being dismantled.

Homeopathy is deemed useless, according to Australian researchers
Australia’s top medical research body, The National Health and Medical Research Council, issued a report stating there is a lack of reliable evidence proving homeopathy to be an effective treatment option for any health condition. The body hopes the report will discourage Australian insurance groups from covering homeopathic treatments.