Considering the bra-burning of the ’70s, the yuppie power suit-wielding of the ’80s and the “gurrl power” of the ’90s, feminism has changed and deteriorated. Though it once was the hip cause for both women and men, any woman who even utters the word today is immediately seen as a card-carrying feminazi. Our society has stopped understanding feminism as a legitimate struggle for equality between the sexes and instead sees it as some sort of extreme religion of women who will only be satisfied with global rule.

Why did this shift in paradigm occur? Why did American voters cheer when Laura Bush blatantly took her First Lady foot out of the West Wing and put it back in the residence? For conservatives who want to point at Hillary and preach about electing presidents – not spouses, there are two words: Nancy Reagan. Did voters believe Laura, our librarian turned First Lady, belonged in the proverbial kitchen?

Some would say feminism died a natural death as sexism ended and women gained equality. Unfortunately, that assessment is not true. Though large advancements have been made, sexism is still a regular part of women’s lives, especially within pay scales, educational systems, careers and the legal system.

What stalled the feminist movement? If we have not seen the triumph of equality, why isn’t the movement still active, vocal, and visible? It comes down to three main issues that are subtle but effective roadblocks on the highway to equality.

The first obstacle to eradicating sexism is one typical of many causes – the difficulty in making reality out of ideology. Though remaining feminists have mostly parallel dreams and goals, they have completely different ideas on the most effective means of achieving those goals. Take, for example, the ongoing discussion surrounding maternity leave. Feminists would like more time for recovery and bonding with newborns, but do not want new mothers to be penalized at work with decreased chances of promotion.

Furthermore, many women want paternity leave for their spouses. The reality of this issue is that many businesses cannot afford to give both parents paid leaves of any serious duration and so, to be equal, give both parents a shortened leave of two or three weeks. Now, women have equality but are suffering a loss of time with their newborns. How can the feminist movement reconcile the decreased length of maternity leave with the gain in equality?

Another issue helping to slow progress toward equality for women is the lack of a common understanding of the biological differences between women and men and how those differences translate into differences in capabilities. U.S. Courts have vaguely stated that exclusion from any job due to gender can only be based upon a lacking “bona fide occupational qualification” (BFOQ), a characteristic that differs between the sexes but is necessary for a specific job. Are height, strength, and weight legitimate? Reflecting the lack of a common answer, the courts are inconsistent proving that BFOQs are often suspect.

Early gender decisions excluding women from certain jobs and opportunities were based primarily on two arguments – a protectionist argument and a separate spheres argument. As with children but not men, court decisions argue that the state has a responsibility to protect women from the dangers of specific jobs.

According to the courts, women are fundamentally interested in different jobs and strive for different goals than men. Though these arguments seem archaic, they still stand as court precedent and are used in new opinions regularly. In 1988, Sears Roebuck & Co. won a case allowing them to hire men over women for commission positions because women, inherently, are less competitive, less interested in money and less comfortable with driving in poor weather to customers homes. Though these arguments are absurd, the courts agreed with Sears and let their hiring policy stand.

With such problems standing between women and equality, it is unfortunate that all women do not consider themselves feminists. Feminism should not be a dirty word or carry a negative stigma, but instead represent a greater goal to achieve equality between the sexes.

Strayer is an LSA sophomore.