Tomorrow’s game between Utah and Michigan features two teams that feel like they deserve better. Utah lost last weekend at Arizona, after a series of disputed calls led Utes coach Ron McBride to question the allegiance of the Pac-10 official John Fogltance. With 38 seconds remaining, a touchdown pass to Josh Lyman that would have tied the game was ruled incomplete, negating the Utes’ game-winning drive.

Earlier that day in South Bend, Ind., Michigan was involved in an emotional and controversial defeat at the hands of Notre Dame. A Carlyle Holiday sneak run appeared to come up a yard shy of the end zone, but was ruled a touchdown. Add to that a phantom pass interference call on Michigan cornerback Marlin Jackson, and Michigan feels like it was a few bad calls away from being 3-0 instead of 2-1.

But which team has more to prove? The perennial power trying to resume a winning rhythm or the scrappy, physical Mountain West challenger?

“I think we’re both upset about last week,” Utah quarterback Lance Rice said. “it was tough. We had a chance to win there. But there’s a new game each week … (Today) is a huge opportunity for our program. Any time you can play BCS teams it’s exciting and a challenge for us. We have a chip on our shoulder.”

Utah prides itself as a hard-hitting, physical team. It will need to catch Michigan off-guard in the hopes that the Wolverines are either still coming down from their own tough loss, or are looking ahead to the beginning of the Big Ten season, which commences next weekend.

“We are looking forward to playing a very good Utah team,” Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said. “It is going to be a challenge for us from the standpoint that anytime you come off an emotional game like last Saturday, it is a challenge for your team. We are looking forward to it.”

Michigan will focus on playing a clean game. Last weekend’s loss to Notre Dame was plagued by turnovers and penalties, and the Michigan defense in particular seemed to have a knack for giving up the big play.

Utah will be forced to air it out, having lost for the season its starting running back (and the nation’s leading rusher at the time of the injury), Marty Johnson. The Utes will likely avoid Jackson, who has been spectacular at the corner for the Wolverines.

“Jackson is obviously very talented,” Rice said. “He’s a big-time player and it’s going to be a huge challenge for us. You want to go away from him.”

Without their star running back and faced with the hostility and awe of Michigan Stadium, the Utes may be disappointed yet again.