A month after suspending its contracts with soft-drink giant Coca-Cola, the University has set its sights on the environmental and economic implications on another caffeinated beverage: coffee.

On Feb. 15, students will find a new coffee in University dining halls.

Residential Dining Services plans to replace the current coffee with an organic, fair-trade blend.

The decision is the result of a two-year campaign led by the Environmental Justice Group, a student organization that works to solve environmental problems that disproportionately affect low-income communities.

The group claims the old coffee was farmed with methods detrimental to the environment and was bought at an unfair price.

The new coffee is certified “fair trade” by TransFair USA, a non-profit organization that acts as a liaison between U.S. merchants and international distributors.

The label signifies coffee growers receive a minimum price per pound from the sale of their coffee. Fair trade is intended to promote environmentally sound farming practices and improve living conditions for small farmers.

“Students can drink their coffee and know that they’re supporting better labor practices and more money for farmers,” said LSA junior Ashley Graham, a member of the group.

Housing spokesman Alan Levy said serving organic fair-trade coffee aligns with Housing’s aim to support global objectives of economic and environmental sustainability.

The University currently offers students an inexpensive coffee blend supplied by Paramount Gourmet Coffee, an employee-owned company based in Lansing. Under their new contract with Paramount, RDS will receive organic, fair-trade coffee beans as well as improved service and equipment.

Although the switch only affects residential dining halls, University Housing is considering offering the product to retail operations, such as South Quad’s Caf