The University is now looking for a new Department of Public Safety executive director, according to a University job listing that was posted on Thursday.

DPS Police Captain Joe Piersante was named interim public safety director after Ken Magee, the current DPS executive director, went on sick leave, according to University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald. Piersante was named interim director because University officials initially weren’t sure if Magee would return, Fitzgerald said in an interview on Friday.

“We do not expect him to return to that position,” Fitzgerald said. “So that’s why the position has been posted.”

He added that University officials waited until they were certain Magee wouldn’t be coming back to post before listing the job on the University’s website.

During the public comments section at the University’s Board of Regents meeting last month, former University Prof. Douglas Smith said he believes Magee is on leave because of sexual misconduct allegations. Smith requested access from the regents to documents detailing allegations against Magee — records Smith said he was previously denied based on attorney-client privilege.

University President Mary Sue Coleman would not comment on Magee’s situation following the meeting.

At the time, Fitzgerald said there was no investigation into the matter.

Fitzgerald said Friday that he had no comment about the length of Magee’s leave or any of the allegations concerning Magee.

“He’s on sick leave, and it’s a personal matter,” Fitzgerald said. “There’s really nothing else I can say.”

Fitzgerald said Magee would remain on paid leave until the executive director position is filled. He added that he isn’t sure what will happen to Magee’s title or paid leave after Magee is replaced.

“I don’t know how it will play out,” Fitzgerald said.

The job posting is slated to expire on April 18. Qualifications listed for the position include eight years of safety experience and a degree in criminal justice, among other criteria.

Fitzgerald said he doesn’t know how Magee’s replacement will be decided.

Originally from Ann Arbor and a University alum, Magee was named executive director of DPS in November 2008. After an extensive screening process, he was selected from 250 candidates from numerous universities.

Before coming to DPS, Magee worked for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. At the time of his appointment, Magee said he was happy to be back in his hometown.

“I plan on being here a long time; this is not a stepping stone for me,” Magee said in January 2009.

— Daily News Editor Joseph Lichterman contributed to this report.