A handful of friends line a hallway cracking jokes, some of them enjoying a snack and one beating a catchy rhythm on the nearest desk. But this isn’t a typical study break – it’s the members of Groove relaxing before a rehearsal of “Scrapmetal Shenanigans,” which they will perform at the Michigan Theater tomorrow at 7:30 p.m.

Groove uses everyday objects to combine elements of “Stomp” and Blue Man Group, blending music, dance and comedy into a dynamic performance.

LSA sophomore and Groove music director Brandon Krieg described the group’s style as “high-energy percussion fused with every kind of music you can think of.”

Groove broke ground three years ago when University alum Lev Gartman brought a small group of friends together to create an unconventional, student-based music ensemble. Groove has nearly tripled its crew since then, boasting a rotating cast of about 30 performers.

“Scrapmetal Shenanigans” opens with two unassuming players tapping a back-and-forth beat on two kitchen pans, but the initially modest arrangement is just warmup for what’s to come. Prepare for a roaring climax when performers flood the stage with rows of trash cans and buckets to thunder an infectious rhythm.

Using what some consider worthless junk, Groove transforms what might otherwise be an array of discordant noise into striking renditions of original and borrowed melodies, making for an unforgettable concert. Snaps, clapping and stomps, effectively woven into beats on itens like parking cones and tubing, establish the group’s symphonic savvy.

One particular number uses only the bodies and voices of those on stage, slowly building a musical mosaic with intertwining beats and comic undertones. Groove also adds sounds from trumpets, trombones, guitars and traditional drum sets to provide bursts of music that complement the group’s offbeat edge.

If the music isn’t enough to knock your socks off, Groove’s breathtaking set – fondly dubbed the “Wall of Doom” – will definitely impress.

Rather than conform to a set of preordained stage roles like other groups of its kind, the quirks of each player’s personality dictate the show’s comedic slant.

Though Groove draws on “extraneous” influences – such as electronica-group Safri Duo and the Melvins and Double Cheeseburger – Krieg said the “biggest influences come from our own crazy heads.”

Groove members range from long-time musicians to rhythmically inclined students looking for a creative outlet. The group’s camaraderie and genuine dedication becomes immediately apparent despite their musical diversity.

With catchy phrases like “Save a Trashcan, Bang a Drummer” and loudly exuberant music, Groove is sure to please. Expect nothing less than an ear-popping percussion jam of the biggest kind.

Scrapmetal Shenanigans
Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
$6
At the Michigan Theater