After some back-and-forth play throughout the third and final day of the Big Ten Championships, the Michigan women’s golf team finished fourth in the conference.

The team’s overall success came as a result of play from sophomore runner-up Yugene Lee at a one-over 217 (75-72-70), as well as senior Meagan Bauer’s 10th place finish at 223 (74-72-77) and freshman Lauren Grogan’s 14th-place finish at 225 (78-73-74). This was Lee’s second appearance in the tournament and Grogan’s first. It also marked Bauer’s fourth appearance and her career-best score at the Big Ten Championships. Both Lee and Bauer have started all 10 events for the Wolverines this season.

Michigan finished the tournament with a total of 900, marking their highest conference finish since 2006 and earning them the fourth-place spot. The Wolverines trailed third place Ohio State by only two strokes, and second place Purdue by five strokes. Michigan State took the title with a team total of 885.

Tournament play began April 27, when the team ended the day in fourth place with a score of 305, led by Bauer’s two-over-par 74 and Lee’s 75. The team ended the day with four players in the top 25, with Bauer tied for sixth place individually. The Wolverines ended the first day just seven shots out of the lead, with Ohio State and Michigan State tied for first at 298.

On Saturday, the Wolverines quickly moved into third place, passing Illinois and following closely behind Ohio State. Bauer continued to impress, finishing with an even-par 72 and tied for fourth overall. Lee recorded 14 straight pars, until a birdie on the 17th hole, putting her two under with just one hole left for the day. Lee finished the day at an even-par 72. Grogan also played well on the second day, finishing the day with a one-over 73.

As the team headed into the last day, they knew the tournament was still up for grabs. Michigan teed off at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, playing alongside Michigan State and Ohio State. The team reached second place during the day, but finished in fourth. Lee’s play continued to improve on the final day, with a two-under 70. Grogan also helped the team with a two-over 74 finish.

Lee’s second-place finish makes her the third Wolverine to finish as runner-up. In addition, Lee achieved the highest finish all-time by a Wolverine at the Big Ten Tournament with her one-over 217 total.

This year’s conference tournament also marks the fourth time that Michigan has had two players in the top 10 at the Big Ten Tournament, with Lee as runner up and Bauer finishing 10th.

Freshman Linda Luo tied for 36th in her first conference tournament appearance and sophomore Chelsea Pezzola finished 66th, also in her first appearance. Sophomore Alyssa Shimel finished at 70th.

With such a young team, Michigan looks to continue to climb the Big Ten ranks under the guidance of head coach Cheryl Stacy. Meagan Bauer, the only senior on the team, has helped the women with her experience and leadership.

The Wolverines now wait anxiously to see if they will be selected to appear in the NCAA Regionals. This would mark the Wolverines’ fourth-straight appearance — 10th in total — if they are selected.