Television has become increasingly obsessed with the medical community in recent years; shows like “ER” and “Scrubs” prove that a hospital can be fertile ground for drama and comedy. ABC’s new drama “Grey’s Anatomy” aims, without any higher ambition, to capitalize on the success of these shows by mimicking their model and filling their mold.

Each episode of “Grey’s Anatomy” covers the 48-hour shift of 20 interns vying for a few coveted positions in Seattle Grace Hospital.

In their grueling first shift, everything that could go wrong does, as they are swept up in an emotional ride of drama and competition. The pilot primarily follows Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo, “Old School”) as she deals with the post-coital awkwardness of a romance with her attending doctor, Derek Shepherd (Patrick Dempsey, “Iron Jawed Angels”) and bonds with fellow interns George O’Malley (T.R. Knight) and Cristina Yang (Sandra Oh, “Sideways”).

From “ER,” “Grey’s Anatomy” loots the heightened drama of surgical scenes and the tenuous bonds of personal relationships forged in such a high-stress workplace. It also steals heavily from “Scrubs,” employing voice-over narration from the insightful and funny lead,

What sets “Grey’s Anatomy” apart is its impeccable fusion of both drama and comedy. It is a series that does not take itself too seriously but shows sincerity and realism when necessary. This can be attributed to the diverse and talented cast. Though the storyline focuses on Meredith, “Grey’s Anatomy” is truly an ensemble show that demonstrates the depth and range of all of its members.

Each character is different, with weaknesses and strengths that emerge as the show progresses. Pompeo and Oh are the potential breakout stars of “Grey’s Anatomy,” creating independent and strong characters who are able to let their vulnerability seep through as they learn from each other.

Modern and subtle cinematography gives “Grey’s Anatomy” a unique look and feel, rejecting the cold and sterile look of the stereotypical hospital. With a talented and promising cast, “Grey’s Anatomy” has the potential to be yet another drama hit for the ABC network. Following in the footsteps of other successful medical shows, “Grey’s Anatomy” blurs the line between fiction and reality, comedy and drama, and allows viewers a fresh look at the world of scrubs and syringes.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars