It was a bittersweet race for the No. 3 Michigan women’s crew team Saturday in East Lansing, as the Wolverines finished second for the first time in Big Ten Championship history. Unfortunately for Michigan, it was not the history it was hoping to make, considering it had won the first two championships. The Wolverines battled, and the first varsity eight boat raised its rowing to a new level, but it wasn’t enough to pull out the victory in the final race of the day.

“The whole team is disappointed in the standings, but we’re happy with the racing,” senior Christina Meyer said. “Start to finish, we had a really great race, and I think we may have had our best race of the year.”

The second varsity eight of Michigan finished second in the next to last race, setting the stage for one of the most exciting races of the year. Ohio State got an early lead, and although Michigan pulled even in the latter stages, the Buckeyes won by three seats, clinching the Big Ten title.

Aiding the Buckeyes’ win was a fast start that gave them a six foot cushion over the Wolverines. Michigan, known for its slow starts, was never able to recover. It is something that the team will work on in the weeks before the NCAA Regionals.

“In the past, we haven’t been a fast starting crew, and it’s almost as if we expect that now,” junior coxswain Helen Dalis said.

The first varsity four also played a large part in Michigan’s second place finish, ending in third place in its grande final. The second varsity four, first novice eight and second novice eight also contributed points. Overall, it was a gutsy team effort after a year of trials and tribulations.

“Its been a challenging year, but I think it makes us stronger,” Dalis said. “This year everyone has risen to the occasion.”

Michigan will look to get faster and stronger in the next two weeks in preparation for regionals. Even after losing key rowers last year, the team has been able to stick together and continue to establish itself as one of the premier squads in the nation. With the championship season upon them, the rowers are ready for the challenge.

“Championship season is a lot more fun, and the races really mean something now,” Meyer said. “We just have to keep doing what we’ve been doing because it seems to be right.”