It was another grueling weekend for the Michigan wrestling team.

Friday, No. 11 Michigan edged No. 7 Nebraska, 17-16, but on Sunday, the Wolverines (6-2 Big Ten, 10-4 overall) fell to No. 3 Iowa, 26-6.

“(Sunday) was a tough loss,” said Michigan coach Joe McFarland. “We allowed them to gain too much momentum on the outside and you can’t wrestle like that. We have to work on setting the pace more.”

Despite the team’s loss on Sunday, freshman Adam Coon, who is ranked second in the nation, continued his dominance. He defeated Iowa’s No. 3 Bobby Telford in the second tiebreaker by riding time in the heavyweight class. The win improved Coon’s record to 27-1 this season.

Redshirt junior Steve Dutton had the Wolverines’ only other win on Sunday, defeating No. 9 Josh Dziewa (3-2) by decision in the 141-pound class.

The result moved Dutton’s record to 5-2 on the year.

“Steve is just finding out how good of a wrestler he can really be,” McFarland said. “At a good time, too, with what’s coming up.”

Fifth-year senior Eric Grajales lost in the first tiebreaker to Iowa’s Brody Grothus in the 149-pound class, 17-14.

“It was a crazy, high-scoring match,” McFarland said. “But I’m confident Eric will bounce back.”

Freshman Brian Murphy also had a close match, ultimately losing to No. 2 Derek St. John (3-1) on a takedown in the 157-pound class. St. John is the defending 157-pound NCAA champion.

In Friday’s win over the Cornhuskers, Coon was instrumental. He defeated Nebraska’s Collin Jensen (12-3) by major decision. Since Michigan held the tiebreaker for technical points, Coon’s victory secured the win.

Redshirt freshman Conor Youtsey got things going for the Wolverines on Friday with a win over Tim Lamber (2-0) by decision. Michigan followed up Youtsey’s triumph with two more victories, redshirt freshman Rossi Bruno over Shawn Nagel (7-6) and Dutton over Colton McCrystal (10-3). Both wins were by major decision.

Two consecutive losses followed, including Grajales’s defeat to No. 5 Jake Sueflohn (9-3) in the 149-pound class and redshirt junior Jake Salazar’s overtime loss to No. 1 James Green (7-6) in the 157-pound class.

Michigan then bounced back with a victory by fifth-year senior Dan Yates over Austin Wilson (4-0) in the 165-pound class. Three more losses followed before Coon’s clinching victory.

The Wolverines split this weekend placed them fifth in the Big Ten standings behind Penn State, Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin, respectively. Michigan has one more non-conference dual meet at Pittsburgh on Feb. 15 before the Big Ten Championships. The Wolverines are looking to improve on their 2012-13 sixth-place finish at the Big Ten Championships and 33rd out of 72 at the NCAA Championships.

“I think this weekend was a good learning experience, especially for our younger guys,” McFarland said. “Iowa is one of the toughest places in the country to wrestle. We’re looking forward to a rematch with them and with Penn State in the championships. Pittsburgh has a really good team, though, so that will be another good challenge for us.”

The Michigan wrestlers have certainly had no shortage of challenges as of late. But despite losses to Penn State and Iowa, they have certainly held their ground.