The Michigan hockey team entered Friday’s game with Bowling Green on a four-game losing streak — its longest since 2005.

The Wolverines responded with a 4-2 loss against the Falcons at Yost Ice Arena. It is their longest losing streak since 1988.

Michigan was first to light the lamp in the opening period when junior forward Louie Caporusso carried the puck through several Bowling Green defenders and poked in his own rebound for a goal. More important than getting the offense going, could be the fact that it was a power play goal. The Wolverines’ power play was at 8.3 percent entering the game.

The Falcons responded with a minute left to go in the first period. Senior Bowling Green captain David Solway lead a two-on-two break up the left side of the ice. And after his initial shot was blocked, Solway beat junior goalie Bryan Hogan on his second attempt.

Neither team could get much going in the second period until Michigan cashed in with only one minute remaining. Sophomore forward Robbie Czarnik beat Falcons goalie Nick Eno glove side from the upper slot. Czarnik was all alone and fired the shot with confidence. It broke the tie and gave the Wolverines some momentum heading into the third.

That momentum was ripped away when Bowling Green converted on a 5-on-3 power play in the first five minutes of the third. Just over a minute later the Falcons scored on a wide open rebound. Hogan was out of place as the puck ricocheted directly to the Bowling Green forward’s stick. And then Bowling Green rode that momentum to another goal — one minute later.

The Falcons scored three goals in 2:22.

Michigan outshot Bowling Green 31 to 21, but the Wolverine defense couldn’t hold down the Falcons in the third.

Michigan now travels to Toledo tomorrow night to take on the Falcons on their own territory at 7:05. Check the Michigan Daily website for a live blog from Toledo.