On Saturday, approximately 200 students and faculty members gathered to raise nearly $15,000 for a variety of National Eating Disorder Association programs.

The walk’s goal was to also facilitate open conversation about the prevalence of eating disorders and raise awareness of the disease. Beneficiaries of the event include the Feeding Hope Fund for Clinical Research & Training, National Eating Disorder Awareness Week and Proud2Bme, an online teen community that promotes a healthy view of self-image.

NEDA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing eating disorders as well as helping those with eating disorders. NEDA has previously organized walks in other states such as Arizona, Ohio and Pennsylvania. The walk held in Ann Arbor was the first of its kind held in Michigan.

Though organizers planned to hold the event in the Nichols Arboretum, icy conditions forced them to relocate the majority of the event to Couzens Residence Hall. Participants completed the walk at Palmer Field.

LSA junior Michelle Zaydlin helped bring the NEDA Walk to Ann Arbor. As the service chairwoman in the Martha Cook Building, Zaydlin organizes service projects for the residence hall. After she contacted NEDA, with the support of the organization and the Martha Cook service committee, the first Michigan NEDA Walk was created.

“I have seen the impact of eating disorders personally and living in a building of 140 women we see a lot of issues surrounding body image and disordered eating,” Zaydlin wrote in an e-mail. “By having this event on campus we allow students to easily attend and learn about the impact of eating disorders and what resources are available.”

Among attendees included members of student organizations such as the University’s chapter of Psi Chi, a psychology honors society.

According to a study conducted by U-SHAPE at the University, 27.8 percent of female undergraduates and 11.8 percent of male undergraduates on campus screened positive for an eating disorder. For graduate students, 21.5 percent of females and 10.3 percent of males also screened positive.

“These diseases often bring with it shame, guilt and silence. Yet, today we are here to fight the stigma and help support eating disorder awareness, treatment and research,”Zaydlin said at the beginning of the event.

She showed a video montage detailing the stories of many men and women in the community who have struggled with eating disorders. Zaydlin concluded her opening remarks by discussing her own experience with an eating disorder.

The opening remarks were followed by a recovery-based yoga session hosted by Inner Door Center, a sponsor of the event. Afterward, attendees were given 30 minutes to walk in Palmer Field.

Kelley Coleman, a community member who had struggled with an eating disorder, gave the closing remarks at the NEDA Walk.

“You can live a life free from the grasps of an eating disorder. Your mind, body and soul can be healed. Your thoughts and your heart can be mended,” Coleman said. “I’m standing in front of you because I’m living proof.”