Martin nominated for USOC position

Michigan Athletic Director Bill Martin was selected on Friday by the United States Olympic Committee’s Executive Committee as its candidate for Vice-President Secretariat.

Martin represents the United States Sailing Association on the USOC board. The 123-member Board of Directors will vote to determine whether Martin will serve as an officer until 2004.

Martin has been a member of the United States Sailing Foundation since 1991, and was president from 1995-98. He also served as president on the U.S. Sailing Association from 1988-91.

He has been a member of the USOC Board of Directors since 1995. Martin took over as Michigan’s Athletic Director on an interim basis in 2000, and soon after took the position on a full-time basis.

Golf not able to follow Nichols’ lead

Junior Dave Nichols led the Wolverines at the Landfall Tradition, carding a 54-hole total of 216. Nichols’s overall mark, good enough for seventh place individually, included 12 birdies.

“I was really pleased with Dave’s (Nichols) play. Obviously anytime you can get a top-10 finish with a good field of individuals and a lot of All Americans here is excellent,” Michigan coach Andrew Sapp said.

Sophomore Mark McIntosh finished with a score of 230, which placed him at 41st individually.

The Wolverines had three other top-60 individual finishers: sophomore Rob Tighe (54), Jimmy Wisinski (56), Chris Kellogg (58).

Collectively the Wolverines finished 12th out of 12 teams. This was Michigan’s last tournament of the fall season, and the Wolverines won’t be back in actin until the Spring season.

“I think we can chalk (the fall season) up to getting experience,” Sapp said. “Looking at our fall, we have a lot of things to work on – our short games are not very good, we do not make a whole lot of birdies on par 5s.

“We are excited about getting some good conditioning done over the winter and then getting right into the spring season.”