3cb301368de32-41-1

Michigan hockey team officials said yesterday they are conducting an internal investigation of a violent incident involving several players at the Sigma Chi fraternity house last weekend.

Langfeld

A hockey player, whom witnesses identified as senior right wing Josh Langfeld, and several of his friends were asked to leave the fraternity house early Sunday morning after Langfeld was seen harassing female guests.

After a brief struggle, the group was ejected from the house at 548 S. State St. and returned about five minutes later, witnesses said. The group reportedly broke windows in the house and then initiated a fight with several fraternity members. Several fraternity members were injured and one person was transported to University Hospitals, a witness said.

Sigma Chi President Michael Lovernick declined to comment on the incident.

Ann Arbor Police Department Sgt. Michael Logghe said at least one person involved in the fight could face assault charges. Witnesses said Langfeld started the fight, although Logghe did not release any names.

Langfeld refused to comment yesterday.

Logghe said charges of malicious destruction of property are also possible in the incident. A detective has not yet been assigned to the case and it could be weeks before any arraignments are held.

Hockey coach Red Berenson said he has not been contacted by the AAPD.

Michigan associate head coach Mel Pearson said team management is trying to sort out details of the incident, which could take a few days to compile.

“We know something happened, but we”re not quite sure,” Pearson said. “We”re just trying to collect all the information and go from there.”

Berenson said he has talked to his players to get more information on the incident and he and his staff are looking for additional details.

Daily Sports Editors Joe Smith and Jon Schwartz contributed to this report.