At the second Central Student Government meeting of the year, the assembly swore in its new vice president and discussed several resolutions relating to transportation, support for a climate initiative and expanding the governing body’s presence.

CSG Vice President Emily Lustig, a LSA senior, came to the position when LSA junior Meagan Shokar, former CSG vice president, stepped down from the role due to a medical issue. Justices for Central Student Judiciary as well as chairs of CSG commissions such as the Student Organization Funding Commission and Detroit Engagement Commission were also confirmed during the meeting.

The assembly discussed three resolutions — one for preserving airBus and AirRide; another for funding the People’s Climate March, an event on climate and sustainability in New York City; and a third resolution directed at increasing CSG’s presence outside of central campus by holding meetings in other University Unions across campus.

The airBus and AirRide resolution expresses the student government’s opposition to the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport Authority’s new agreement with Metro Cab, which will restrict airBus and AirRide to three parking spaces in the motor coach section of the airport parking lot.

“As a result of this agreement, affordable bus services are limited in passenger capacity and passenger pick up and drop off location; and whereas it is the opinion of the authors that this policy jeopardizes the ability of services like airBus to operate,” the resolution stated.

AirBus is a CSG-operated transportation service that takes students to and from the Detroit Metropolitan airport. The cost to travel to the airport is $7 while the cost to leave the airport is $11.

Ann Arbor Transit Authority’s AirRide allows passengers in Ann Arbor to travel to and from the airport for $12 one way and $22 round trip with a reservation, respectively.

CSG President Bobby Dishell, a Public Policy senior, voiced support for the resolution to maintain airBus and AirRide’s current status.

“This is one of the services that students across the University know us for providing,” Dishell said. “We really have the opportunity to get people behind calling the Wayne County Airport Authorities and saying ‘no, you can’t do this.’ ”

Lustig agreed with Dishell on the significance of the airBus and its impact on students who fly to and from campus regularly.

“This is really an affordable service that we bring to our residents and something students were adamant about having years ago and that’s why CSG sponsors this. It’s really important for the student body as a whole,” Lustig said.

The resolution calls for the creation of a UPetition against the Metro Cab agreement and its distribution to the general student body. It also proposes sending a copy of the resolution to Wayne County Airport Authority, AATA and the University’s Office of the vice president of Government Relations.

Lastly, the legislation seeks to have CSG members attend Wayne County Airport Authority’s public meeting on Sept. 18 as well as their following meetings, if necessary.

The proposal has been referred to the resolutions committee. The legislation will be reviewed by the committee and then the assembly will vote on the airBus resolution at CSG’s next meeting Sept. 16.