Tuesday, Central Student Government announced that hours at the Intramural Sports building, as well as the Central Campus Recreation Building and North Campus Recreation Building, would be extended starting in the fall following a pilot program in the Winter 2014.

Hours at the IMSB will be extended to opening at 7 a.m. from 9 a.m., hours at the CCRB will be extended to opening at 5:30 a.m. instead of 6 a.m., and hours at the NCRB will be extended to opening from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays during the spring and summer terms. New hours will start in the fall.

Third-year law student John Lin, a CSG Assembly representative who led the initiative, said the initial pilot program received very positive feedback, especially from law students because of their close location to the IMSB.

“Among law students it was a very welcome change, especially among first year students who have classes early in the morning,” Lin said. “Being able to go to the IM building in the morning was something they enjoyed.”

According to data provided by CSG, during the http://www.michigandaily.com/blog/wire/csg-approves-trial-extension-imsb… >pilot program, when the IMSB was open at 7 a.m. instead of 9 a.m, 647 people took advantage of the additional hours. Over 80 percent of them were students.

CSG officials said along with convenience, which they hope will encourage students to become more physically active, increased wellness among students is another benefit to the program.

“It’s overall convenience and giving students another option,” Lin said. “Anything student government can do to make life better for students is a welcome change.”

LSA junior Meagan Shokar, CSG vice president, said improving student health on campus is one of the main focuses CSG for the coming year, and the positive response they have been receiving from students on the changes demonstrates student need for programs like this.

“We normally do get feedback on whatever we’re doing, but it’s definitely been really good this time because it’s a good example of how the work we are doing does affect the daily lives of students,” Shokar said. “Students really showed appreciation for student government that is really trying to focus on the health of students, as that is one of our most important goals of the year, and it’s something we know we can positively affect.”

The additional hours will be funded by the University. The exact amount it will cost to continue the program will depend on how much additional staff determined to be required.

Other health programs CSG has been working on include the Wolverine Support Network program, a proposed mental health-counseling program which would be staffed by students.

Summer Managing News Editor Shoham Geva contributed to this report.