Bob Dolan, dean of the Ross School of Business, announced this morning that he won’t seek a third term in his current position.

In an e-mail sent to the Business School community this morning, Dolan — who has served as dean since the summer of 2001 — wrote that he is satisfied with the 10 years he will have served come next summer when his term is up.

“My fellow deans at Chicago, Northwestern, and Stanford have made similar decisions in the past year suggesting that two terms totaling ten years generally ‘feels right’ in this day and age,” Dolan wrote.

Having already spoken with University President Mary Sue Coleman and University Provost Teresa Sullivan about his decision, Dolan wrote that he hopes this will allow for “a smooth and effective transition.”

Dolan wrote that becoming dean of the Business School is “the best move (he) ever made,” and that he’s thankful for being able to serve among people who do “tremendously inspiring” work.

“It has given me the opportunity to work with great people — faculty, staff, students and alumni — in a challenging, energizing and deeply rewarding environment,” Dolan wrote.

More information regarding the selection of a new dean will be made available in the future, the e-mail states.