If there is a sound in modern rock that is distinctly British, the rising English rock-quintet Goldrush certainly isn’t striving for it. “I’ve always been into more American bands,” said frontman Robin Bennet, who cited legends Neil Young and Johnny Cash as a couple of his biggest influences.

Rolling into Detroit’s Shelter this Thursday evening, the Oxford natives shun Coldplay’s atmospheric pop and Bloc Party’s garage-dance rock, both of which are now popular in their homeland in favor of a pastoral, country-tinged style.

“I’ve always kind of enjoyed that Western sound,” Bennet said, detailing a particular experience that served as inspiration for the group’s LP Ozona, released earlier this year.

“The album title comes from a Texas town our van broke down in a couple of years ago – there was only one bar in town, and we met some rednecks there. We were about to leave, and one of them says ‘Have you ever shot a gun before?’ So they drove us into the desert and taught us how to shoot, though we thought they might be shooting us – We got out of it alive, so it got to be a good name for the record.”

Bennet added that coming to the United States for six months with no money “toughened (them) up” and helped develop a certain edge on their latest recording.

Currently in their fifth year together, the members have reached a few important landmarks early on in their careers. Along with Joe Bennet, the singer’s brother and bandmate, Robin created the Truck Music Festival, an annual nonprofit gathering currently in its eighth year.

While initially just a fun idea, Bennet said that the festival has evolved into “somewhat of a big deal,” attracting more than 100 bands in 2005 to the artists’ hometown where it is held.

Beyond the music festival, the band aimed to establish its presence early on by founding an accompanying label, Truck Records. Looking back on the challenges of starting the label before his band had fully formed, Bennet said, “It was pretty difficult at first. Luckily, with the first few things we put out on the record label, people were keen on us right away.”

The band’s self-promoting efforts have paid off thus far, with its record label, music festival and own popularity growing each year in both the United States and the United Kingdom.

Describing the tone of his group’s most recent project as one of “defiant happiness,” Bennet sees plenty of need to stay positive in a world where optimism is becoming harder and harder to find.

“There is a lot to be depressed about right now – there are so many dark things going on … and I think there’s a need for music that’s (going to) inspire people.” Riding into town with this earnest, upbeat outlook, Goldrush plans to bring plenty of inspiration with them to the Shelter tomorrow night.