The fear that Michigan coach Lloyd Carr preliminarily instilled in fans last month has officially become a reality.

Wide receiver Antonio Bass, who was looking to get snaps at quarterback this spring, has undergone knee surgery and will be out indefinitely.

Earlier in March, the freshman injured his knee in a preseason conditioning drill. At a media briefing on March 16, prior to the start of spring practice, Carr said Bass’s status was uncertain.

But on March 31, Bass underwent surgery on his knee. Carr said that extreme swelling in Bass’s knee delayed the surgery.

“I can’t speculate when he will return,” Carr said. “He has a tremendous attitude, but certainly, it’s going to be significant time to rehab that injury.”

Carr called the injury “significant” but did not rule out the possibility of a comeback after extensive rehabilitation.

“I’ve seen guys do things that I never thought they could do,” Carr said. “So I don’t rule him out, but he’s got a lot of work in front of him.”

On the rise: Carr stated that many of next season’s starting positions remain open for competition. Although the NCAA restricts the amount of spring practices a team can hold, Carr did say certain people are making a great impression.

At the end of the year, the cornerback spot across from junior Leon Hall looked like it would be occupied by freshman Morgan Trent, who saw significant time at corner as the 2005 season progressed. But freshman Johnny Sears and sophomore Charles Stewart will challenge for the spot.

Carr said the position competition is crucial to keep players motivated.

“What you’re looking for is competition and finding out how important this game is to a guy,” Carr said. “(Trent) went into the spring as No. 1. Sears and Stewart have really come on, so (Trent)’s like a lot of guys – he has to step up.”

D-cline?: Not all areas of the team were getting rave reviews. Carr displayed some frustration with how some of the linebackers have looked in practice but stressed that he doesn’t think it should be a major concern for fans.

“I’m a little disappointed at certain places in there,” said Carr of the linebacker corps. “But I expect before we’re done that that will be a strength of the team.”

One spot that may not be open for competition for long could belong to junior Shawn Crable.

“Shawn Crable has had a terrific spring,” Carr said. “If he continues, there’s no way that Crable will not be on the field, because he has really turned it up. The rest (of the spots) are up for grabs.”

Injury updates: A handful of other Wolverines have suffered injuries during spring practice but none have been as severe as Bass’s.

Freshman Mario Manningham sprained his knee, and sophomore John Thompson injured his arm. Sophomore Doug Dutch, freshman Chris McLaurin and senior Rueben Riley all also have battled various injuries.

Carr said all five should be OK and that most of the injuries are minor.