Michigan women's basketball Head Coach Kim Barnes Arico sits behind a table and microphone.
Grace Lahti/Daily. Buy this photo.

The Michigan women’s basketball team has added its second transfer piece of the off-season, this time in point guard Brooke Quarles-Daniels out of Oakland. She announced her commitment in an Instagram post on Wednesday, reported first by Talia Goodman on X, over two months after another post signifying her entrance into the transfer portal. 

Quarles-Daniels played two seasons with the Golden Grizzlies, with career averages of 12.8 points per game and 2.9 assists per game. She is listed at 5-foot-7, but still averaged 6.0 rebounds per game in her first two years despite being undersized. With her production this past season, she led Oakland in total points, assists, rebounds and steals. 

The move from the Golden Grizzlies is not far for Quarles-Daniels, and she is familiar with the Wolverines, having played against Michigan last November and scored 10 points in Ann Arbor despite an Oakland loss

Quarles-Daniels will bring two years of eligibility with her alongside some veteran security at the lead guard spot. With the departures of many mainstays in last season’s lineup, the Wolverines will need a steady presence like her on the court. Her rebounding ability is also a strong addition for Michigan, as they are left depleted down low with the departures of Chyra Evans and Cameron Williams.

The Wolverines have taken their time in the portal this off season, but they have now added another piece to their growing roster. Quarles-Daniels’ two years of experience will be key, and her addition shows that Michigan might not be done in the portal just yet.