Chyra Evans attempts a layup as defenders close in.
Grace Lahti/Daily. Buy this photo.

The Michigan women’s basketball team has another player entering the transfer portal in sophomore forward Chyra Evans, first reported by The Next and confirmed by a Michigan spokesperson. The news of Evans’ move comes just hours after junior guard Laila Phelia entered the portal, and makes Evans the sixth Wolverine to enter since the end of their season just over two weeks ago. 

Evans had a strong sophomore season, entering the starting lineup near the beginning of Big Ten play and remaining a consistent contributor at the center position. She averaged 6.2 points and 4.3 rebounds per game and helped space the offense with her passing and shooting abilities.

Evans marks the sixth Michigan player to enter her name in the portal, showing signs of concern for the Wolverines. With multiple key contributors in the portal, including two regular starters in Evans and Phelia, Michigan could have lots of ground to make up for come next fall if none of the six choose to return to Ann Arbor. 

Her departure also leaves the Wolverines with very little size down low, as forwards Cameron Williams and Taylor Williams are also in the portal. This means that almost all of Michigan’s post production from this past season will be looking for a new home. And should some of those three players officially decide to leave, the Wolverines will be looking for some new post production of their own.