Michigan softball team celebrates against Purdue.
The Michigan softball team's bats came alive in a series sweep against Indiana. Julianne Yoon/Daily. Buy this photo.

Last season, the Michigan softball team dropped the ball in its series against Indiana. Giving up 25 runs over the course of the series – 15 of which were in a single game — the Hoosiers out-hit the Wolverines, who put up a measly seven runs. They outscored and ultimately outplayed Michigan. 

But when Indiana (23-12 overall, 0-6 Big Ten) came face-to-face with the Wolverines (24-11, 6-0) one season later, a drastically different tale unfolded. This time, in its weekend matchup against the Hoosiers, Michigan’s offense surged to life, tallying 28 runs and outpacing Indiana’s offense for a 3-0 sweep.

“The energy was electric from the first pitch on Friday afternoon or early evening to the last pitch today (Sunday),” Michigan coach Bonnie Tholl said Sunday. “Every single person owned their part, owned their role; this was 100% a team effort as it should be.”

Despite coming out with electric energy, Michigan’s offense didn’t truly spark until later.

At the top of the second inning of the series opener on Friday, senior first baseman Keke Tholl whipped her bat around, unleashing a homer over the center-field wall for the Wolverines’ first run of the game. Keeping pace with Michigan, though, Hoosiers infielder Sarah Stone followed a quick single with a homer over left field to take the lead, 3-1. 

This back-and-forth pattern continued as the lead changed between the Wolverines and Indiana four times before Michigan tied the game in the fourth inning and began to pick up speed. 

With one out, junior left fielder Ellie Sieler’s mighty swing finally earned the tie-breaking RBI in the top of the fourth inning. While Sieler’s shot was ultimately caught deep in left field, it gave sophomore pinch runner Madi Ramey just enough time to slide home for the 6-5 lead. 

The Wolverines found their stride with that blast, and they never looked back. 

What followed was nothing short of an offensive surge. In the next three innings, Michigan totaled nine runs for a six-inning 15-6 run-rule victory over the Hoosiers. That score mirrored its second game against Indiana last season, except this time, the Wolverines were on the dealing end of the breakout in the batter’s box.

“The work ethic of this team is unmatched,” Bonnie said. “This is a team that cares deeply about getting better and growing, and if you saw us this weekend, they care deeply about each other’s successes. That is the coming together of a team.”

Melding together created the avenue for Michigan’s flourishing offense over the weekend. In contrast to Friday’s slower start, the Wolverines wasted no time pouring on runs in their second game of the series. 

With a mighty swing, sophomore third baseman Maddie Erickson blasted a two-run dinger to left-center field just one batter into the game. Michigan scored three more runs off two doubles in the second and third innings from the bat of freshman right fielder Ella Stephenson. The Hoosiers’ only run of the game came on a solo homer as the Wolverines’ offense soared ahead. Keke capped off the match with a home run and a double as Michigan cruised to a 7-1 win.

Energized by success, the Wolverines’ confidence never faltered. While Michigan’s bats were initially hesitant to strike in the first game of the series, they struck immediately in the second matchup to earn the dominant win.

“The kids have worked really hard at making their strengths even stronger and to really recognize some of the deficiencies we may have had,” Bonnie said. “They’ve been committed to improving their game both defensively, base running, and offensively.” 

This steadfast commitment to improvement continued to pay dividends as the Wolverines headed into the final game of the series. 

A quick single from sophomore second baseman Indiana Langford drove in freshman designated player Ava Costales, putting Michigan on the board early in the second inning. However, that lead was short-lived, as Indiana outfielder Aaliyah Andrews singled to second base to bring home pitcher Brianna Copeland. Like the prior game, though, that run was the Hoosiers’ only run of the matchup as the Wolverines’ offense surged ahead once again. 

With a two-RBI single, Stephenson broke the tie in the top of the third inning — and the dam. Four different Wolverine batters drove in the next seven runs. Utilizing small ball and the long ball effectively, Michigan’s offense bulldozed ahead just as it had for the past two games.

As the fifth inning rolled around, redshirt freshman catcher Lilly Vallimont swung her bat around and connected with the ball, launching a dinger over the left field wall. Driving in three runs, Vallimont’s blast pushed the score to 10-1, cementing Michigan’s lead, win and sweep of the Hoosiers. 

Against Indiana, the Wolverines’ bats never cooled, steadily propelling them through their 3-0 weekend and to their now 10-game win streak. Now 6-0 against Big Ten opponents, the Wolverines have seemingly shed the offensive inconsistency that plagued them in the early season. 

Last year, Indiana swept Michigan under the rug with ease. But this weekend, on the back of their offensive explosion, the Wolverines whipped out some brooms of their own.