NEW ERA (AP) – Linda Bosse says the discovery of her daughter’s body doesn’t make the family’s loss any less painful or the child’s death any easier to accept.

“It brings closure to the not-knowing part. That’s all,” she told The Muskegon Chronicle for a story yesterday. “The not-knowing part is done.”

Human remains were found Saturday afternoon in a wooded area of Lapeer County’s Metamora Township, east of Flint. Michigan State Police said yesterday a forensic examination has determined that the remains are those of 11-year-old Andre Bosse.

Andre was kidnapped from her home June 17, 1997 after her parents had left for work and minutes before her grandmother had arrived to watch her.

Her family lived at the time near Twin Lake in Muskegon County and now resides in Oceana County’s New Era.

Dean Metcalfe, a former neighbor of the girl and the father of Andre’s best friend, was arrested in Lapeer County two days after the disappearance.

Metcalfe pleaded no contest in 1999 to five charges in Andre’s disappearance. The counts included first-degree murder, murder committed after kidnapping a child and first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

He was sentenced May 25, 1999, to life in prison with no possibility of parole, and is now housed at the Ionia Maximum Correctional Facility.

At the time of his sentencing, he was already serving two life terms for two unrelated child-molestation convictions.

Metcalfe admitted to authorities that he kidnapped, raped and fatally shot Andre shortly after she vanished.

He told authorities that he sexually assaulted her, then drove her across the state to Lapeer County, where he later shot her in the back of the head as she tried to flee.

He later recanted his confession after a plea bargain dissolved, but Lapeer County Prosecutor Byron Konschuh said the girl’s remains were found in the general area that Metcalfe had described.

A man walking on property adjacent to his own found the child’s skull.

Police and volunteers with dogs had previously searched more than a dozen Lapeer County areas, focusing on Metamora and Dryden townships near a Boy Scout ranch. The remains were found about 11/2 miles southeast of the ranch, The Flint Journal reported.

A green jacket was found with the remains and Metcalfe had described covering Andre’s body with a green jacket and some brush, Konschuh said. Black sneakers similar to those Andre was wearing when last seen were also found with the remains.

State police Detective Lt. Curt Schram said the body was covered with debris.

“It was not an obvious find,” he told The Grand Rapids Press.

Schram said Bosse was killed at the little-traveled site. The child’s mother and father, Matthew Bosse, were notified Saturday.

“Now we know,” Linda Bosse said. “It doesn’t make it hurt any less, or make it any easier.”

Andre’s parents described her as a tomboy who loved animals, basketball, softball, riding her motorbike and catching tadpoles in a nearby pond.

Shortly before her disappearance, she had completed the fifth grade at what is now called Ealy Elementary School in the Whitehall school district.