For most people, Labor Day weekend offers a state of relaxation, some time to meet up with relatives and best of all, enjoy a Monday without any work to do. But that won’t be the case for the Michigan women’s soccer team. It will instead travel to Seattle for two games, one against Portland (1-2) on Friday and another at Washington (3-1) Sunday.

The Wolverines (3-1) kicked the season off with a four game home stand, losing once to Marquette in rough fashion. With sixteen minutes left, the Golden Eagles tied and took the lead in a span of 40 seconds. Despite taking just five shots all game, Marquette made them when it mattered most. Michigan, on the other hand, attempted 14 shots and only converted once.

Since then, however, Michigan’s turned things around, stringing together two straight wins against San Diego and Detroit.

But if the game against the Golden Eagles is more of an anomaly than a statement on the actual season, it’s a bit more reassuring for the Wolverines, who are ranked No. 1 in the Big Ten in three categories — shots per game, corner kicks and goals per game.

“We’re going together, we win balls back quickly and our transition attack is fast,” said Michigan coach Greg Ryan after last week’s game against Detroit.

Applying pressure on opposing defenses is one area where Michigan has found success so far. But it’s finishing on such chances that will pose the biggest concern for it, facing two opponents who have both had success in recent years, culminating in NCAA Tournament appearances.

Portland is a team the Wolverines haven’t seen since 2012, when they won, 3-0, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
The Pilots lost two key players from last season: forward Danica Evans, who contributed seven goals and 17 points, and goalkeeper Taylor Luty, who started in 12 games and had a goals-against average of 1.33. They welcome back Parkes Kendrick and All-West Coast Conference honorable mention Noelle LaPrevotte, both of whom contributed eight and seven points in 2014, respectively.

Washington will look to capitalize on two games this weekend against Big Ten opponents, the other being Illinois. It comes off two straight shutout victories against Seattle and Trinity Western. A backline as formidable as the Huskies could test another strong back line in Michigan’s.

Washington’s Dominique Bond-Flasza provides the passing and scoring instincts that frustrate opposing defenses who must react to any of her scoring attempts out of the back end. Defender Havana McElvaine also poses a problem for Michigan, as she’s another passer who’s recorded one assist on the young season.

If anything, these two players are somewhat of a direct comparison to Michigan’s back end, with starters like senior defender Christina Murillo and junior defender Anna Soccorsi both providing the same kind of two-way play that Washington assumes. Still, both opponents will leave Ryan and the Wolverines with their hands full.

“Portland’s a quality opponent. Washington’s a very, very good NCAA tournament-level team,” Ryan said. “We’ll have our hands full, but I think we’re as prepared as we can possibly be.”