Michigan forward Gavin Brindley stands stoic on the ice with his helmet on.
Emily Alberts/Daily. Buy this photo.

Sophomore forward Gavin Brindley is now the third Michigan hockey player to move on to the NHL in as many days.

After being selected 34th overall in the second round of the 2023 NHL Draft, Brindley signed a three-year deal with the Columbus Blue Jackets on Monday, forgoing the rest of his college eligibility.

In his two seasons as a Wolverine, Brindley amassed 88 total points on 36 goals and 52 assists. This past year, he led Michigan as its top point-producer, tallying 25 goals and 28 assists throughout a season that ended in the Frozen Four just last week.

Establishing himself as a lethal threat with the puck on his stick, Brindley’s standout 2023-24 campaign earned him Big Ten Player of the Year honors. When the Wolverines needed to make something happen on offense, they usually turned to Brindley. He used his speed and nifty stickhandling before flashing his dangerous shot, often providing just the spark that Michigan was looking for.

Brindley will join a handful of former Wolverines in Columbus, with Adam Fantilli, Kent Johnson, Zach Werenski and Nick Blankenburg on the Blue Jackets’ roster.

Brindley’s announcement comes after fellow sophomore forward Frank Nazar III signed with the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday and junior forward Dylan Duke inked his contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning earlier on Monday. Losing three of the Wolverines’ top producers, Michigan coach Brandon Naurato will have big shoes to fill as he rebuilds his roster this offseason.