Michigan defender Steven Holtz skates with the puck.
Lila Turner/Daily. Buy this photo.

MARYLAND HEIGHTS, Mo. — There have hardly been any games this season where sophomore defenseman Seamus Casey didn’t have an impact. Whether he’s running the powerplay, evading forecheck pressure on a breakout or dangling his way down the ice, Casey’s presence on the ice is always noticeable. 

That made his absence on Friday all the more eye-catching. 

Casey did not return after the first period of the No. 3 seed Michigan hockey team’s regional matchup against No. 2 seed North Dakota, as he left the game with an unknown injury. While his absence was notable, it ultimately wasn’t insurmountable as the Wolverines surpassed the Fighting Hawks in a gritty 4-3 win.  

“I think we obviously know what Seamus brings to our team,” junior forward Dylan Duke said. “Coach came in the locker room and mentioned that he was out for the time being, and he challenged the (defense) to step up and all of them did a great job of that back there. Huge part of why we had success and could claim the win.” 

And several players certainly rose to the ‘challenge’ that Michigan coach Brandon Naurato levied. For instance, sophomore defenseman Tyler Duke provided a much-needed physical presence along the boards. He also jumped into plays on offense at various points, assisting on sophomore forward T.J. Hughes’ go-ahead goal in the third period. 

Graduate goaltender Jake Barczewski also deserves a mention as he preserved the one-goal lead with less than two minutes in the game through a series of clutch saves in-tight. 

Despite these valiant efforts, none stood out more than senior defenseman Steven Holtz.  

“Stephen Holtz was outstanding,” Michigan coach Brandon Naurato said. 

The Wolverines’ first goal of the game serves as an apt microcosm. 

Sophomore forward Frank Nazar III secured the first tally of the night for Michigan as he potted in a loose rebound two minutes into the second period. This goal came at a crucial time in the game because it breathed life into the Wolverine bench and allowed Michigan to find an offensive rhythm amid a physical battle that the Fighting Hawks were looking to wage.

And although Nazar put the finishing touches on the goal, Holtz facilitated the play that made it happen. 

Holtz used his body to shield the puck away from the clutches of the North Dakota defenseman. He then used his momentum to sling the puck to the Wolverines who were hanging around the net front, generating a dangerous scoring opportunity in the process. 

Holtz not only protected the puck and maintained possession, but also he found ways to become active on offense — skills that are largely reminiscent of Casey and his strengths on the ice. Holtz filled a void that Casey left, and in doing so, he propelled the Wolverines to success. 

“Next guy-up mentality for sure,” Barczewski told The Michigan Daily. “At the end of the day, we have to play for him and we have to play for each other. There’s no doubt in our lineup whether it’s the (third-defensive pairing) or (fourth-defensive pairing), it doesn’t matter. Those guys have stepped up and we needed them tonight.” 

It didn’t matter whether it was Steven Holtz or Tyler Duke or Jake Barczewski making an impact. Michigan’s defensive unit ultimately didn’t skip a beat. As a result, the Wolverines get to keep dancing in the NCAA tournament.