Lila Turner/Daily. Buy this photo.

MARYLAND HEIGHTS, Mo. — You can’t script it any better.

One of the greatest rivalries in college hockey is returning to the ice for the sixth time this Sunday. Alongside four regular season clashes — one of which was the historic ‘Duel in the D’ — Michigan and Michigan State faced off in the Big Ten Championship just last weekend. Now, the in-state rivals are fighting for a Frozen Four berth and the fate of their seasons in Sunday’s NCAA Regional Final.

“Michigan-Michigan State in the Regional Final,” sophomore forward T.J. Hughes said Friday after beating North Dakota. “Can’t ask for more.”

Neither team needs any refresher on its opponent’s strengths and weaknesses. After five games, they know each other inside and out.

With a 4-1 record through those first five games, the Spartans have thoroughly edged out the Wolverines thus far. Michigan dominated in the first matchup, leaving East Lansing with a commanding 7-1 win. But ever since then, Michigan State has taken control.

In the second game, the Wolverines fell apart in the latter half, allowing six unanswered goals. Just three weeks later, in the ensuing rivalry series, the Spartans swept Michigan. On Friday, the Wolverines succumbed to more third-period struggles. On Saturday in Detroit — where Michigan previously held a six-year win streak — the Wolverines couldn’t muster enough urgency to come out on top in a nail-biter.

And with a conference title up for grabs last weekend, Michigan State did it again. In an instant classic defined by momentum swings, the Spartans figured out a way to beat Michigan for the fourth consecutive time.

“Michigan State’s always a good opponent for us,” freshman forward Garrett Schifsky said. “They’ve gotten the better of us the last four times, so it’s good we have a little chip on our shoulder and something to prove.”

Heading into Sunday’s rematch, the Wolverines have everything to prove — with everything on the line. They’re taking on their biggest rival again, playing for revenge, for redemption and for their season.

Unfortunately for Michigan, though, the Wolverines might be without one of their most important players. Sophomore defenseman Seamus Casey went down with an apparent injury on Friday against the Fighting Hawks, and he didn’t return to the game after the first period. It’s unclear whether Casey will be healthy come Sunday.

Michigan will certainly hope he is, but either way, the Wolverines won’t have any trouble finding motivation.

“(We’re) really excited, we owe those guys a lot,” sophomore forward Frank Nazar III said. “We’re all pumped.”

As the rivalry story nears its highly-anticipated conclusion on Sunday, Michigan hopes that its energy will translate into results and punch its ticket to the Frozen Four.