The Michigan football team stands in a huddle with coach Sherrone Moore.
Lila Turner/Daily. Buy this photo.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

After a recruiting investigation swirled around the 2023 season, the Michigan football team reached an agreement with the NCAA on Tuesday on violations it committed. The program will serve three years on probation, a fine and recruiting restrictions consistent with the Level-I violations levied against it as penalties for the violations. 

The NCAA announced these penalties are in accordance with an agreement with Michigan and five individuals that currently work or previously worked for the program. The agreement is on recruiting violations within the football program, as well as coaching activities by noncoach members of the staff. These violations include recruiting during the COVID-19 dead period, holding impermissible tryouts and exceeding the number of allowed countable coaches. 

Penalties for the individuals who came to the agreement include one-year show-cause clauses, consistent with the individual’s Level-II violations. 

Other violations in the resolution include that former head coach Jim Harbaugh did not meet his responsibility to cooperate with the investigation. Michigan also agreed that it did not detect and deter the impermissible recruiting during the dead period and did not make sure the coaching staff followed the rules for non-coaching staff members.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions also decided to split the case, as one former Michigan coach did not partake in the agreement. The NCAA will release its final decision once any potential violations and penalties for the former coach are resolved.

Previously, this recruiting investigation led to Harbaugh being suspended for the first three games of the 2023 season. Since Harbaugh left for the NFL, though, the burden will now fall on Michigan coach Sherrone Moore to handle the ramifications of these penalties. 

As Moore looks to establish the future of Michigan’s program, the penalties will give him one more thing to figure out.